Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    New Poll for Durban
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Poll for Durban Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
OK here's a new poll for which I expect to see 3 votes almost immediately, and then a few more especially from Arnie, Geoff, Michael & Stella.

A teenager I know from Durban,
When asked "Watcha doon?" says, "Just verbin'"
Which means 'doing stuff--
Specific enuff!'
"Goin' out?" "Oh, maybe some 'burbin'"

An amorous dude down in Durban
Had a dating technique quite disturbin’.
He would rufy his date,
Then he’d mount her mate
And, polite, drop her close to the curbin’.

Although Germany's play was superb 'an
They smashed the Australians in Durban,
Like whirring propellers
Those damn vuvuzelas
Are the things that I find most disturbin'.

Playing Rock-Paper-Scissors in Durban
Were an Aussie, a German, a Serb an'
Whose number was up,
Much like the World Cup
Was luck and I find that disturbin'.

Australia, Germany and Serbia were all in Group D in the World Cup. G beat A 4-nil in Durban, later S beat G 1-nil and then A beat S 2-1.

While touring South Africa's urban
Divisions, like Cape Town and Durban.
I tried salted meat -
Called "biltong"...not sweet!
I should have disguised it with bourbon!

A randy young Sikh down in Durban
Quipped glibly, with manners suburban,
"When getting my rocks off
I might take my socks off -
But I'm damned if I'll take off my turban!"

I thought about moving to Durban
Urban Durban? I thought. Or suburban?
"Suburban?" they said,
"But the night life is dead.
Go downtown, where there's plenty of Bourbon."

On the tour guide I read out the blurb'n
Got all the lowdown on Durban
I quite fancy a beach
But it must be a peach
And it seems that they have a superb'n.

Question:
Vote for your favourite (even if you wrote it).

Choices:

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've voted in the new poll. It seemed to work; it showed my vote as the only one cast so far. I'd already voted with the old version, and it seemed not to record my vote, either.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've voted now and it seems to have registered.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I, too, have just voted, and three votes are registered.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Arnie didn't play but voted, so that means only 3 of the 6 players have voted. I will cast mine at the end in case it is needed to break a tie, so there is still 2 other players, who should cast a vote, and few other regulars like Arnie who didn't submit an entry but whose vote we would appreciate. I'll give it 24 hours.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those extra 2 votes - not that it has helped matters. It looks like I am going to have to cast the winning vote.

I could ask a silly question like "Can I vote for my own?", but I won't.

Regards Greg

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Greg, if you've already looked at the voting you won't be able to vote later.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Not true Arnie, because I just voted to split the 3-way tie between Richard, myself and Kalleh and decided to give it to Kalleh. It was line-ball really. I couldn't vote for my own because after all I liked my Rock-Paper-Scissors one much better than my vuvuzelas one. In fact I actually liked all the limericks, and probably would have voted for one of Bob's two if I didn't have to use my vote to split the tie. I ultimately went for the 'biltong' local reference but I was very impressed that Richard managed to get a blue limerick out of it, but perhaps the deciding factor was the fact that Kalleh occasionally complains that she never wins, so I thought it was high time she did. I don't really have much else to say about the limericks other than I thought they were all good and I would have been happy for any one of them to have won, but I would welcome other comments.

For the record Arnie you may still be correct, about looking at the voting stopping you from voting if you haven't already, but if you look at the Poll results before logging in (which I suspect is what I did) then the software can't mark it down as a vote, because it doesn't know who you are.

Authors were:

1 - Bethree
2 - Proofreader
3 & 4 - me
5 - Kalleh
6 - Richard
7 & 8 - Bob

Over to you Kalleh

Regards Greg

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Well done Kalleh.

I agree about Biltong - I bought a load of it when I was in SA but, having tried a mouthful, I took it back home and gave it to the dog. He clearly thought it was lovely and wolfed it down.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
Ah. It's closed already! Sorry, I've been away for a couple of weeks. Richard, you got my vote, but apparently it came too late. Kalleh's was also a worthy winner.

Posts: 71 | Location: OsloReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thank you, though with Michael's vote I no longer am the "legitimate" winner, am I? And then with Greg's pity vote ( Wink) , probably it should be Richard's. But I'll take it anyway and come up with something soon.

I liked yours, Richard, and had guessed it was yours. I, however, had voted for Greg's. I loved the "superb 'an, and disturin' rhymes, as well as the reference to vuvuzelas, which I hadn't heard of before these games.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
It's still a 2-way tie with Michael's vote and I would have had to apply a casting vote to break it, so you are the legitimate winner.

Regards Greg

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I liked yours, Richard, and had guessed it was yours.

I have always been one for nostalgia Wink

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post