Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Going down the Drain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going down the Drain Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
There are some funny names for towns in this region, such as Drain, Riddle, and the ever-popular Wankers Corners.:eek: What odd names are near where you live?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We have a Pratt's Bottom a few miles from here.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live near Kill Buck, Busti, and Adams Basin.

But we also have Rose and Morganville! wink

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lurrrrrrve Pennsylvania! Afterall, it has Intercourse, Gipsy, Hooker, Chest Springs, Torpedo and watch out for the Slippery Rock!

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Angel!

Since Morgan has noted Morganville, I'll note to you that the highest waterfall in the world is Angel Falls. Not to suggest, of course, that you are a fallen Angel. smile

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'll note to you that the highest waterfall in the
world is Angel Falls. Not to suggest, of course, that you are a fallen Angel.
-----------------------------------
And, of course, there's no implication of anyone being all wet, is there, Shufitz? roll eyes

posted Hide Post
We started out talking about going down the Drain, now we're talking about Angel Falls. Looks like this thread is all wet and going downhill fast! razz

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Looks like this thread is all wet and going downhill fast!

True, Angel, so help save us by telling us what odd names there near your location! Get us back to the right stream of thought. smile

posted Hide Post
I live near:

Waterdown
Waterford
Springvale
Springville
Lakeview
Bridgeport

Ohhhhhhhhhh, those are all wet! wink

How about:
Vineland
Woodburn
Duffs Corners
New Credit
Turkey Point
confused

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Duffs Corners?

Hmmm, last time I looked, I didn't have any corners on MY duff! A bit of extra padding, though.

A suburb of Portland is named Boring. It gets really silly when you see one of their fire trucks, on which is inscribed, "BFD!" Kinda sets the tone for the town, it does.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Found on the web while looking up something else:

quote:
My parents lived in a place in Pennsylvania called Exton, a village given that name, for all anyone can remember, because it was just a crossoads "X" on the map

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Dragging this up from oblivion: http://train.missouri.org/licking/

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
When I was in Montana recently, my hotel was on the best street: Last Chance Gulch! I had called the hotel to find out what the address was for the cab (little did I know their cabs were few and far between!), and when they gave that street name, I said, "Can you please repeat that?" I just had no idea.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a rural hamlet of upstate New York. I lived on Turkey Hill Road, which (down the road a piece, of course, past the mailboxes) became a dirt road called Monkey Run.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa found this and asked me to find the correct thread. Believe it or not, there is a city named Fucking.

posted Hide Post
wikipedia on Fucking Austria -- the discussion and history tabs are worth the price of admission.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
What really tickled me is that the Google maps instructions say, "Start: Petting," and End: Fucking," and Tittmoning's on the way too! Now we know where to find the REAL Lover's Lane! Big Grin Not, France, not Italy, but between Germany and Austria!

posted Hide Post
I live near the village of Fanny Bay. For some reason, visitors from the UK find that funny.

Posts: 3 | Location: Vancouver IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
When I visit BC (next month) I must seek the place out!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
live near the village of Fanny Bay. For some reason, visitors from the UK find that funny.
Oh, you know those chirpy UKers; they'll laugh at anything. Wink

BTW, Welcome to the posting scene, Flay!

posted Hide Post
I live near Lizard Lick, NC. Here is a little link...
http://www.rogersstark.com/lizard/lizard.htm

Also, I am not far from Fuquay Varina, which is frequently mispronounced and evokes all kinds of comments.

Posts: 52 | Location: Raleigh, NCReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Believe it or not, there is a city named Fucking.

My college girlfriend was French-Canadian and thought Sacramento, California was hilarious.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My college girlfriend was French-Canadian and thought Sacramento, California was hilarious.

Having heard the name all my life I had never realized how funny it sounds, until now. Thank you (and your girlfriend) for giving me this hilarious perspective.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
So, elledee, you're a Tarheel! Time was when the Scotch Irish types who settled in the Carolinas (Including my own progenitors, being from SC myself) provided some colorful names to some places. There used to be a Shitbritches Creek in NC, and in Virginia there was Fucking Creek and Tickle Cunt Branch. While they may have been Hell fire and Damnation Presbyterians, they seemed to enjoy themselves when the preacher wasn't looking! Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Too bad about Duke...

posted Hide Post
I am not too torn up over Duke, being a true Tar Hell fan (Chapel Hill). But, it is always disappointing to see a local team go down so early in the "dance." I am not Tar Heel born or bred, as I grew up in California. But, I do love it here. I have a bit of Scots-Irish in me, too, from my grand-daddy's side.

posted Hide Post
Reviving this thread: A package was sent to the parts department of the shop where I work from Keister, PA. It doesn't show on Google Maps or Google Earth, so it must not be official, but there IS a Keister Road in Slippery Rock, which figures... Roll Eyes

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Yes, let's have at it again!

Since moving to NJ, alas, as I always say, how could you tell you're not on Long Island? Fair Lawn, Roseland, Floral Park, Bay Shore, Beach Haven, zzzz, zz... Though I do like Adelphia. Bivalve has interest, as does Cheesequake. And we have Buttzville but I suspect we stole it from Pa.

Street names are so much more interesting: Shades of Death Rd is next door in Warren County; Unexpected Rd is in Buena, NJ.

The towns of my youth were equally boring, apparently settled by old-timey classics students (Ithaca, Syracuse, Rome-- you know the drill). Street names rule! I grew up on Turkey Hill Road, which beyond the RR tracks lost its asphalt; the dusty trail was called Monkey Run. Just south of town: Sodom Rd.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I've been to Wyoming and Jerusalem without leaving the state.