Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Gundagai Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Gundagai Poll Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
Despite the difficulty of the 3-syllables of Gundagai, there are some great and very creative limericks. For those of you (I am sure there are some) who don't want me to be the winner of 4 of the last 5 Limerick Games, don't vote for Limericks A or B, as they're mine.

Question:
Limerick A

In a small population like Gundagai's
The girls may well laugh at your thunder thighs
But they'll go off half-cocked,
You'll be openly mocked
If your package is overly undersize.

Limerick B

Though it's folklore down here under Southern Sky
For the life of me I'll always wonder why
Five miles from nowhere
The dog didn't go there -
At least there's good tucker in Gundagai.

Limerick C

An old man in South Gundagai,
Wandered, and, yes, wondered why
A pretty green budgie
Near the old Murrumbidgee,
Flew o'er 'im an' shit in 'is eye!

Limerick D

A rose horticulturist in Gundagai
Leaves men with desires floribundify
But her prickly thorn-acity
Has their stems going flaccid-y
So she sits all alone and she wonders why.

Limerick E

I am often a patron of Gundagai’s
Excellent ho (who has thunder thighs).
Nestled deep ‘tween her legs
Is beer (bottle and kegs).
How she keeps it all cold is a wonder, guys.

Limerick F

I never saw such a rotund a guy
As a fellow I met down in Gundagai
He takes up two seats
On the bus and he eats
Till he needs a mile long cummerbund to tie.

Limerick G

Todd Stuehl poisoned folks in the countryside
When the mob caught him up, he was Gundagai'd
Todd's acts, "They ain't human"
Bringing forth this denouement
Mob verdict--not murder, but fungicide!

Limerick H

A pustular youth down in Gundagai
Remarked to himself "I just wonder why
I can't attract girls
With my garrulous pearls"
But sadly it's his spots make them thunder by.

Limerick I

Now a mob's nothing new out in Gundagai
Ask a Jack, Jill, or Joey that you blunder by
They think it great sport
To kangaroo court
It's justice that's comes from a thunder-thigh.

Limerick J

When driving to Sydney I wonder why
You suggest that I stop by in Gundagai.
Cause given the choice
I would take the Rolls Royce
And just leave them for dust as I thunder by.

Choices:
Limerick A
Limerick B
Limerick C
Limerick D
Limerick E
Limerick F
Limerick G
Limerick H
Limerick I
Limerick J

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
There are about 10 of us who regularly play this Limerick Game, but very many more of you who visit here and are hopefully amused by our work. So why don't you vote? So far there have been 56 visitors to this thread, but only 5 votes have been cast. All of us who compete here would be much happier if all 56 of you had cast a vote. You don't have to be good at writing limericks - if one takes your fancy, makes you laugh or smile then vote for it.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
I wish I'd written down the one I thought up whilst at our new house in Indiana. However, I was ill most of the time I was there, and quite busy when I wasn't sick. Oh, well, at least I did get one turned in.

It is odd, Greg, how so many look, but so few comment.

Geoff (Who masqueraded as Sunflower [My spouse] a few times this week)

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have made the point previously that this method of assessment is not very fair or reliable when there are so few voting. With 56 visitors I see no reason why there shouldn't be 56 votes; it's not very difficult to cast a vote after all.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Agreed! COME ON PEOPLE VOTE - PLEASE!

Regards Greg

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It DOESN'T show how many people have looked. It shows how many TIMES people have looked. I look every time a new post pops up in the thread so I'm there at least five times now. If every one of the seven voters has looked six times, that's 42 of the count right there!

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. I thought I had tested that theory and discovered that the count didn't go up when I looked a second time, but you've been using this software very much longer than I, so I will bow to your experience.

Regards Greg

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Hey, I could be wrong too you know. I'm only nearly perfect.
The admins will be able to tell you more (both about the software and my level of perfection.)

It can't be just counting members though as we don't have anything like the 109 active members that it currently shows.

posted Hide Post
I see the figure of 56 has just about doubled in two days - surely that can't be entirely due to repeat visits from the hard core of us.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
No. It could be counting spiders, automated software that trawls the web and accounts for a lot of those strange "100 guests" messages we sometimes see.

posted Hide Post
I'd forgotten about those benighted creatures.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
While in Indiana I looked in from my spouse's automatic log-on, and she''s never looked at this round to my knowledge, so there's a false count right there.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
We have a new player (in recent times at least) in this game, so that should be one more vote than usual, but we usually have 8 or 9 votes, so even a few of the regulars haven't voted yet. I will leave it 24 hours before declaring the Poll, during which time I hope we get a few more voters.

Regards Greg

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Bob's right about the page views. It's the number of times the page has been served that is counted, not who sees it. I'm not sure, but also those of us who've voted already probably hit the button to see how the score stands at present; that would count as another page view.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
The Gundagai limericks were submitted by:

A & B - Greg
C - Geoff
D, G & I - Myth Jellies
E - Proofreader
F - Bob Hale
H - Richard and
J - Stella

So, with the only limerick with more than one vote, I hereby declare Bob Hale the winner. Whilst "rotund a guy" was an extremely clever and original rhyme for Gundagai, I personally couldn't make Line 5 scan no matter how hard I tried, and my personal favourite was Myth Jellies' Todd Stuehl limerick. I also thought Richard's pustular young lad limerick was a beauty, but then I pictured the unfortunate soul and the sight was too horrific to get my vote (well I suppose he could also have been a she - but that would have conjured up and even more horrifying image).

This is the first time I've seen a Myth Jellies' entry (and we got three of them), but I have seen much of Myth's work in another forum, as it turns we are both also number-nut Sudoku addicts.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
How about some comments people. Why all so silent? How about a new town Bob? Now that you guys have got me hooked on this game, I need my next fix. I also wrote this one for Gundagai but it was a bit too much like some of the others, so I left it out, but it might get a laugh or two.

If you saw him you wouldn't long wonder why
The fat rapist who hailed from Gundagai
Left each virgin attacked
Completely intact -
His member was trapped 'tween each thunder thigh.

Regards Greg

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
:

I voted-- too late-- for Myth Jellies' "D". Lack of voting here just indicates utter disruption by snowstorms over last two weeks. This week calm by comparison.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, apart from commenting that I thought mine was best Wink I agree that Bob's was a worthy winner. Unless we change the system, it now falls to Bob to suggest another town. Easy in the West Midlands, I reckon. There are some very challenging but rhymeable names.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
A new town will be forthcoming shortly.