Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Poll for Mississippi
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll for Mississippi Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Here is the poll for Mississippi. Please vote whether or not you submitted one.

Good luck, limericists. There are some good rhymes here!

Question:
1. It's hotter than hell, Mississippi -
When it falls under 90 'it's nippy',
But for folks such as Kent
With his naturist bent,
A sensational spot to get strippy.

2. A belle from Ole Mississippi
Found the weather in spring a bit nippy
She donned a wool mini
Pulled up to her chinny
Then doffed it to go skinny-dippy!

3. A hairdresser in Mississippi
Can really make his scissors snip. 'E
Will suffer in bed
If his shirt's stained in red
With other than his Mrs' lippy.

4. A handyman from Mississippi
Gets randy should his Mrs strip - 'e
Will beg her to do it
And she'll submit to it
Provided he then kisses "Pippy".

5. There once was a sweet little bippy
Who lived in Fayette, Mississippi.
Fried foods were her weakness
(like Snickers...such freak'ness!);
No wonder her nickname was "Hippy!"

6. The river that's called Mississippi
Has water whose flow's far from nippy.
Which is why, it is felt, a
Significant delta
Has formed where the jazz is so zippy.

7. When sailing the old Mississippi
Card players would need to be slippy
To avoid being marks
Of travelling card sharks
Whose attentions were, shall we say, zippy.

8. While cruising the great Mississippi
Two jazzmen, three punks and a hippy
Joined up in a band
And their music was grand
It was complex, aggressive and trippy.

9. The sign that said, "Caution: Deck Slippy"
On the boat on the grand Mississippi
Was missing. I fell
With a cry of "Oh, Hell!"
What a pity my shoes were not grippy.

10. A daughter from ol' Mississippi
From childhood had loved to be lippy;
But the slap in the chops
For her old-fashioned Pops
Was the time she hooked up with a hippy.

Choices:

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Where is everyone? We need some votes!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It's the usual old problem - high standards, many entries and few voters. But I have, with difficulty, voted.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think it's interesting how often there is no clear winner. It just goes to show how taste differs. I remember reading the winners in the Washington Post Style Invitational (which I will again this year enter...to no avail, I am sure) and often thinking, "That won?!"

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Voted

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
One reason you may be short of voters is that you haven't posted a message in the original thread to say that the Poll was open. I usually wait for this to go have a look as I don't look at Wordcraft every day. So it was only when it struck me today that the poll might be open that I had a look. I haven't voted yet, but I will soon.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I've voted too now and would appear to have given someone an edge.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We have 8 votes so far, and number 8, which is very nice, seems to be a clear winner. Any more votes?

By the way, while you're at it, could you please send me a PM daffynition for "extromit" for the Bluffing Game thread? I love killing 2 birds with one stone!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay then. Here are the limericks:

1) Michael - Yep, it is nippy when the temp falls under 90. I think some of us struggled with who Kent is. Loved the "strippy!"
2) Bethree - I thought it was excellent...and, boy, it is hot in Mississippi on the summer with all that humidity. The "skinny-dippy" was creative.
3) Greg - Great concept and loved the "snip. 'E" rhyme. I had a little trouble with the stresses but remember I am anal about meter.
4)Greg again - I liked Greg's hairdresser one better. The stresses again bothered me, but I wasn't sure what was meant by the last line. Maybe I am just dense!
5) Mine - I know, the word "bippy" was pushing the envelope, as was "freak'ness, but I enjoyed writing it because I had recently been to Jackson, Mississippi, and I heard all their stories of the different foods they fry, including Snickers. I love the southerners; they enjoy laughing at themselves.
6) Richard - Ah, I really liked this one and voted for it. He got the heat in this one, the Mississippi delta, and the jazz...with perfect meter, at least for me. I loved the rhyme "felt a." If it had any weakness, I suppose it's more informative than funny, which is like a lot of the OEDILF ones.
7) Richard - This one was clever with the card sharks and the metaphor with sharks in the water. of course, people don't sail on the Mississippi, but that's okay with our poetic license.
8) Bob - Our Big Winner! Nice one Bob. You, too, included the Mississippi reference to jazz, with even more depth. Loved the jazz reference! I might have liked more of a zinger in the last line.
9) Bob - Now this one had the zinger, and I almost voted for it. This one was high on my list and had me snickering.
10) Michael - Loved this one too. Michael thought the Americans might not have understood "lippy" or "pops," but we do. Nice concept.

Those are my thoughts on the Mississippi limericks. Please feel free to comment on any of them.

Congrats, Bob, and you are next!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
7) Richard - This one was clever with the card sharks and the metaphor with sharks in the water. of course, people don't sail on the Mississippi, but that's okay with our poetic license.

It may be different in US English, but in the UK all ships can "set sail" - even those innocent of a square inch of canvas. Thus I was referring to the old stern-wheelers that plied the Mississippi before the railways drove them out of business, and on whose voyages card-sharps were reputed to make a good living from the innocents taking their first trip away from home.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know, the word "bippy" was pushing the envelope

You betcha sweet bippy! (Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls.) Big Grin

I'm intrigued at your mention of Southern 'cuisine'. Over here it's the people in the north of the country, Scotland, who enjoy such delicacies as deep-fried Mars bars.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob may be still doing his summer teaching. We might have to wait a bit for our next limerick. If someone wants to step in, please do so.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
B O B, we are calling you!