Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Fun with the low back vowel merger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fun with the low back vowel merger Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Given the interest in limericks of several members of this site, this might be of interest, describing where a contestant is asked to rhyme distraught, brought, and hot. Phonoloblog.
(Hat-tip: Literal-Minded)

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
That's one of the well-known problems. Some time ago I was given a present of a rhyming dictionary but I have to be very careful in places because it's American and a lot words listed as rhyming in there just don't for me. Because it's an area I'm familiar with I might have guessed the last line but for me it could never actually rhyme.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, I often listen to that limerick rhyming on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!" They're usually very easy, but sometimes situations like this occur. I think I remember this very one.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post