Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    It's word-related at the very end
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's word-related at the very end Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Think a gallon of gas is expensive?
This makes one think, and also puts things into perspective:

Diet Snapple, 16 oz, $1.29 ... $10.32 per gallon!

Lipton Ice Tea, 16 oz, $1.19 ... $9.52 per gallon!

Gatorade, 20 oz, $1.59 ..... $10.17 per gallon!

Ocean Spray, 16 oz, $1.25 . $10.00 per gallon!

Brake Fluid, 12 oz, $3.15 .... $33.60 per gallon!

Vick's Nyquil, 6 oz, $8.35 ... $178.13 per gallon!

Pepto Bismol,4 oz, $3.85 . $123.20 per gallon!

Whiteout, 7 oz, $1.39 ......... $25.42 per gallon!

Scope, 1.5 oz, $0.99 ....$84.48 per gallon!

And this is a REAL KICKER:

Evian water, 9 oz, $1.49 ... $21.19 per gallon!
That's $21.19 for a gallon of WATER!!
and buyers don't even know the source

(Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Intriguing, Asa, though I suppose everything doesn't have the same core value.

I know we've talked about bottled water before, but I just don't get it. The bottles are polluting (and now they've found that some contain carcinogen chemicals), they don't have fluoride, and at least for the water I drink, they taste exactly the same as tap water. I do realize some people say their water tastes "terrible," though I've always been suspicious of that.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
It took 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of bottled water.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And 5 liters of water to produce one liter of Pepsi, Coke or beer, chemical fizz or otherwise. Honestly, I don't know why people get so bent out of shape over bottled water when bottled diet soda bothers them not one bit.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honestly, I don't know why people get so bent out of shape over bottled water when bottled diet soda bothers them not one bit.
neveu, it's the "holier than thous" who rant night and day about soft drinks and caffeine and chemicals and anything not grown organically etc., as they sip their "pure" bottled water. I find it quite hilarious really that finally we're hearing about the horrors of bottled water. I can't wait to see what they'll do now.

I've wondered why people can't just drink tap water.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm ticked by people's ranting about "chemicals" in this or that. Yeah, find something that DOESN'T have chemicals in it. "Organic" also gets my knickers in a twist. If it's got hydrogen and carbon, it's organic!

posted Hide Post
quote:
it's the "holier than thous" who rant night and day about soft drinks and caffeine and chemicals and anything not grown organically etc., as they sip their "pure" bottled water

Is that what it is? Because I've been wondering what bottled water ever did to attract such vitriol, aside from being an insignificant part of the entire over-priced convenience food market. Are these the same elitist Volvo-driving latte-sipping San Francisco-values not-real-Americans-like-NASCAR-fans-are people I've been hearing so much about?

quote:
I've wondered why people can't just drink tap water.

Why can't people just measure out an ounce and a half of sugar and mix it with 12 ounces of tap water instead of buying a can of coke? I don't know, but it deeply offends me.

If you think bottled water is stupid, do what you do with every other product you think is stupid and don't buy it. But I fail to see why it should be singled out as particularly stupid. It's certainly no more stupid than soda, diet or otherwise.

quote:
If it's got hydrogen and carbon, it's organic!

Yeah, but it's not Certified Organic, which is something else entirely.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: neveu,

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Are these the same elitist Volvo-driving latte-sipping San Francisco-values not-real-Americans-like-NASCAR-fans-are people I've been hearing so much about?

Probably. What gets my goat is that now whenever I'm in San Francisco on business or pleasure and before noon, and I order a macchiato at one of those coffee-bar-carts in the street, I inevitably get asked the question: "a real one or ... ?" Seems a large, to remain unnamed coffee franchise has decided that calling sizing things like vente instead of medium isn't enough. Now they have to take a perfectly respectable coffee drink and give its name to some abomination with caramel in it.

I think the whole bottled water thing goes back to the '80s when French bottled mineral water started to make an ever so small dent in the American fizzy sugar-water market. Coca Cola and PepsiCo had to strike back, and so they started a scare campaign which poked fun at people who drank bottled water. "Real men do not eat quiche!" was the rallying cry. and the adult flip seamy side to the "just say no!" campaign which could only have been dreamed up by a pill-popping Mad Ave guy ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is that what it is? Because I've been wondering what bottled water ever did to attract such vitriol, aside from being an insignificant part of the entire over-priced convenience food market. Are these the same elitist Volvo-driving latte-sipping San Francisco-values not-real-Americans-like-NASCAR-fans-are people I've been hearing so much about?
I suppose I was rather rude, and I apologize. However, I see I've also struck a nerve.

First off, I don't drink coke or any other soft drinks. I think they are terrible. Even the diet ones have acid which is bad for teeth.

Second, I wasn't talking about San Francisco, Volvo drivers, and certainly not "not-real-Americans-like-NASCAR-fans-are"...cuz I really dislike NASCAR and I am certainly not that type of American.

Third, sugar is usually measured in teaspoons, tablespoons or cups. How much sugar is in a can of coke, I wonder? Lots!

Fourth, anyone is entitled to buy whatever they want, of course. But let's get real. The plastic bottles that contain water are bad for the enviornment and some of the bottles are toxic to people. Yet, oftentimes one hears that it is only the enviornmentally friendly people, or those who are concerned about organic nutrition, who drink bottled water. The rest of us drink that crap from the tap, we're told.

Perhaps you don't hear that in California, but I hear it all the time in Chicago.

Having said all of that, my husband has just bought a case of bottled water. I stick with the tap. Perhaps it's the Wisconsin in me.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:

quote:
If it's got hydrogen and carbon, it's organic!

Yeah, but it's not Certified Organic, which is something else entirely.

So now high school students take Certified Organic Chemistry classes? Roll Eyes

"Lord, what fools these mortals be."

Asa, the multi-cellular, symbiotic, non-certified organism, drinking a glass of chemicals Smile

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I only ever drink bottled water when it's diluted with around 5% alcohol!

If it's not available then I drink water from the tap - which is much cheaper and as near identical as makes no difference.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post