Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Word of the Year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Word of the Year Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Finally, Erin McKean says, they are able to include "Podcast" in the New Oxford American Dictionary. Shu and I heard her discussing this word, and the runners up, on an NPR program. She said that before the deadline for the online OED updates they just didn't have enough evidence that "podcast" should be included. However, soon its use exploded. The link mentions the losers, including "lifehack, "rootkit," "bird flu," "sudoku," and "trans fat."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have since found a link to the interview. In another thread I had mention that one of the words they mentioned sounded a lot like "squits." Well, in reading the interview, I see that word actually is "squicked," which means to be immediately revolted by something.

Also, here are the runners up. I am surprised that "persistent vegetative state" is just appearing now. I thought that phrase had been along for awhile.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
I am surprised that "persistent vegetative state" is just appearing now. I thought that phrase had been along for awhile.

Based on performance, I'd say it's been around since the convening of the 108th US Congress.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post