Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Name Choice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name Choice Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I just watched an old episode of Mork and Mindy in which the evil landlord who wants to evict Mindy's family is named "Arnold Wanker".

I know the word "wanker" isn't used in the US as it is in the UK but it was hard not to laugh in all the wrong places whenever the name was used.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I imagine. Big Grin

You are right, though. Wanker isn't used much over here, right Americans?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I did wonder if giving this name to the bad guy was a sly piece of language humour by someone familiar with the English usage.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I expect so. Robin Williams was notorious for his efforts to get crap past the radar of the network executives in Mork and Mindy. Wanker was almost unknown at the time in the USA but has become more widely known since Austin Powers, etc.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, Williams at his sneakiest. I loved the first season, but once the big-shots corralled him the show went to pot. Williams unchained was incredible.

Some years ago I mentioned that there's a place near Portland, Oregon called Wankers Corners. Eek

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
But, Geoff, we don't see wankers used a lot here, do we?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
But, Geoff, we don't see wankers used a lot here, do we?

Glad that sentence included the word "used" because frankly I've seen just as many wankers in the US as in the UK. Big Grin