Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Splintering :D?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Splintering :D? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I didn't know that Texas wanted to secede. *
Apparently they're not the only ones.

How's Illinois doing?

Big Grin

(* If I were you, I'd let Texas go. I can think of at least one prominant family you'd be able to repatriate. Wink )

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I can't find the article but several months ago when Texas and several other Southern states were discussing the possibility of their leaving, a columnist provided data showing that every one of the potential secessionists TOOK MORE MONEY FROM the Federal government than their citizens put in by way of income taxes. So, overall, it wouldn't be a loss.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
States With Most Signatures to Secede Took Millions in Federal Money

By Sarah Parnass Nov 14, 2012 6:23pm

quote:
All the states petitioning to secede from the United States that obtained enough signatures to elicit a response from the White House — with the exception of Alabama — were some of the largest recipients of federal funding in 2010.

Posted by BobHale December 14, 2012 5:07 PM
quote:
If I were you, I'd let Texas go.

Looks like we're stuck with Texas.

quote:
But the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1868 that Texas and other states could not secede from the union. They found that secession can be accompanied only through a revolution or by an agreement among the states, such as a constitutional amendment

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yeah...I've read that, too. So let's let them go, I say!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. I just listened to an audiobook of Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Lincoln worked long and hard to preserve the Union. Let's not undo his work.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just bought it for my boss, but I haven't read it yet. I have heard it's wonderful, though, Tinman.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post