Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    One step at a time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One step at a time Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Several posters have appeared at work suggesting that, rather than use the lifts (AmE: elevators) we use the stairs. They say that we'll get fitter and also be contributing towards saving the environment as less electricity will be needed. The heading of the poster is rather good, I feel:

GET FIT, ONE STEP AT A TIME

There's one small problem, though. The only place I've seen the posters is inside the lifts. Cool

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The only place I've seen the posters is inside the lifts.

Seems like they've targeted their audience rather well. Better in the lifts than in the stairwell.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
This is a verbatim copy of a sign I saw on a website for a kid's science fair. It seems unlikely to win if an English teacher was a judge.

"....difference between coke and pepsi in our taste test

Experiment Description

Well our porject is on a Taste Test(the best taste test you’ll ever have lol) & its basically about if you can tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke! You’ll drink some blinde folded and see if you know witch one it witch without seeing them....."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, my!

I do like the heading of the poster, arnie.

I am curious, just what do you mean by "poster?" I am thinking we'd call it a "flyer" in the U.S.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A poster is a sign printed on paper. These are indoors, of course, but there are posters outside as well, usually advertising a product. To us, a "flyer" would be advertising material either handed out to passers-by in the street or put in the post.

A "fly-poster" is someone who puts up posters without the site owner's permission.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arnie's use of "poster" seemed clear to me. Now if, while at his post he posted postage to a post while drinking Postum... Confused

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Arnie's use of "poster" seemed clear to me. Now if, while at his post he posted postage to a post while drinking Postum...

While post partum or post mortem...

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
To me, Geoff, a poster is more formal than a flyer in an elevator. We have posters at conferences where researchers summarize their studies. Or students have posters at science fairs where they show their experiments. Or there may be a poster of a great movie or one of Michael Jordan's feats. Sometimes posters are beautiful and framed and put on walls. I have some framed posters in my office.

I can't imagine framing a flyer!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post