Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Electronic Censorship
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic Censorship Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
A federal judge in San Francisco has shut down Wikileaks.org because of posting some documents from Julius Baer Bank and Trust of the Cayman Islands. A Chicago Tribune editorial likens shutting down the whole site for one article (that may or may not be illegal) to shutting down the Tribune or the NY Times for printing something that could be illegally damaging to others. Has the judge forgotten about the 1st Amendment? Obviously there is a different standard, to this judge, for print material than there is for electronic material. I suspect we haven't seen the end of this. (I hope anyway.)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Link.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first read this story last week, it infuriated me. Imagine if they shut down Wordcraft because of one thread which was inflammatory, it's ridiculous.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Sean, it would be quite similar. Likewise, a judge could shut down the NY Times because of jumping to conclusions with their recent report on McCain's womanizing.

z, sorry that I didn't link to your mention of this in a previous thread. I just thought a discussion of electronic censorship would be interesting.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post