Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    more people in the world are bitten by New Yorkers every year than they are by sharks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

more people in the world are bitten by New Yorkers every year than they are by sharks Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I have finally figured it out, based on an article that z posted on his great Morphology of Peevology Facebook page. He had posted A Letter to a Prospective Lexicographer from Harmless Drudgery. That article talks about the need for people who are "possessed of sprachgefühl." According to Harmless Drudgery it is an innate sense of the rhythm of language. Here is how you know you are possessed with it:
quote:
Even if you think you might have it, you won’t really know if you are possessed of it until you’re here, letting the sentence “It’s time to plant out the lettuce” pad around inside your head, paying careful attention to how it rubs up against the language centers of your brain.
Clearly I was without sprachgefühl in this thread. I want it back!

[Seriously, sorry if I have been a little too negative here. It certainly was not my intention to make fun of linguists. I have the upmost respect for them.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Clearly I was without sprachgefühl in this thread. I want it back!

Sounds a little like Austin Power's mojo. I think you've got plenty of sprachgefühl. Wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, thank you! That means a lot coming from you.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
to quote Hannah Montana,
Everybody makes mistakes... Everybody has those days... Everybody knows what I'm talkin' 'bout...

Nobody's...Perfect!

I have to admit I've skimmed over several posts in this thread, but I'm exceedingly happy that I have witnessed Arnie quoting Hannah Montana. My day is made.

I also agree with Geoff that many of those New Yorkers are probably also sharks. Not all sharks are New Yorkers, and not all New Yorkers are sharks, but there is definitely an overlap.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
My day is made.

Glad I am appreciated! Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
New heights were apparently reached!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post