Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Hoping you can see these links
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoping you can see these links Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Here's a very international puzzle for you.

Why will my American friends be very unlikely to see actual printed copies of these two leaflets ?

https://drive.google.com/file/...M0w/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/...qDz/view?usp=sharing

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See them, yes, but read them, no - at least not in English.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
See them, yes, but read them, no - at least not in English.

They're not English. That's the whole point. Look through the many languages there and try to find one that is at least vaguely familiar. They all (or in fact almost all) say more or less the same thing... I'll help you out... it's a warning of some sort, but why could I (whether in England or China) find a copy of this while you, in America probably couldn't (legally anyway.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How do you know we couldn't?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Because there is something quite innocuous that is banned from sale in the US that is available almost everywhere else.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
OK. I'll tell you.
That's the warning leaflet that comes with every Kinder Surprise chocolate egg. Keith Kahn-Harris has written a whole book (which I would love to read) called The Babel Message about the various translations on the leaflet.
If anyone doubts that they are banned in the US I would point you to the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic act which forbids the enclosure of anything non-edible inside something edible for sale. Kinder Joy which is for sale in the USA separates the toy and the chocolate egg and does not contain the same warning leaflet.

The translations all amount to a warning that it is not for young children as it could be a choking hazard.