Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Drive with your heart
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drive with your heart Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In a BMW advertisement, they say:

"Drive with your heart; buy with your head."

Now, I agree you should buy with your head. But what do they mean about driving with your heart? Doesn't that mean with your emotions? It's fine if you're in a good mood and feeling patient and generous. But what if you're angry and rushed? Wouldn't driving with your heart mean to slam through a red light or to give the finger to the guy who cut you off? Shouldn't the saying be to "drive with your head?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KB
posted Hide Post
Depends on the interpretation. There's a number of sayings that equate using one's heart (or opening it) as being loving, empathetic. However, I'd have to agree with you in general, since that's not a common spin on the idea anymore -- might even say "obsolete". (sigh)

Reminds me of a TV ad that tried to sell the idea of "let us do the thinking for you". Either these ad guys are in on some corporate/government conspiracy, or they just don't bother to think at all themselves anymore. Did any of you note, when Country Fair renamed it's deli/ hot food service, that the title they gave it actually means "rotten food" (subfare)? My favorite example was a local radio ad, I forget what for now. It went on about how this product/service was "the greatest in efficiency" (looks good written out, but think how the words would sound spoken in a quick radio ad!) D'oh!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I think all that BMW are trying to suggest is that driving one of their cars is an especially enjoyable experience - appealing to the heart and soul, rather than the mind.

Rubbish, of course. There's precious little fun in driving any car these days on the overcrowded roads we most of us inhabit.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I remember the Marlboro ads of the 1960s that proclaimed, "People who think for themselves smoke Marlboro." Downright Orwellian! Then there's the current Valvoline ad, "Those who know use Valvoline." Know WHAT!?!? Isn't Valvoline the name of the daughter of an old Finnish mechanic named Valvo Grindenen? Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Have you caught any episodes of the new series "Mad Men"? (BRAVO or FX, I don't remember which) It's a drama-soap set in the early '60's, Westchester suburbs/NYC; characters work for a Madison Ave firm which is brainstorming how to market a big tobacco client in the wake of the first public health warnings.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
"Let us do the thinking for you"? What product was that for? I vaguely remember it, too. It sounds a lot like "1984" and Big Brother.

In our local shopping mall, Northwestern Medical Center (quite well respected nationwide) has 2 signs up that irritate me, and I am in the health care field. I think some in the general public would react even more strongly:

1) A longterm relationship: It's the least you should expect from people who are allowed to see you naked. (Whenever possible we in health care try to provide privacy to our patients. While it's not always possible, let's not flaunt that.)

2) Passion and Commitment: It's the least you should expect from people who might hold your heart in their hands. (That's just too visual for me!)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I saw a sign today on a major highway, warning trucks not to slow by braking. However, the sign, in large, flashing, neon letters said:

NO BREAKING!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
A sign my sister saw when visiting Hong Kong:

DO NOT FALL DOWN!

Perhaps we should post signs on our highways saying: DO NOT HAVE AN ACCIDENT!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

Perhaps we should post signs on our highways saying: DO NOT HAVE AN ACCIDENT!

Is this a message from Planned Parenthood? Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good old QT always makes his readers smile.

Here are 2 street signs that his readers have seen:

No Parking Violators Will Be Prosecuted

Men Working When Flashing (I'd love to see that!)

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Men Working When Flashing (I'd love to see that!)

Depends on the men.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post