Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    New Special Words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Special Words Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
I was just last evening at a sing-along party where we all gathered to watch the Robert Preston version of The Music Man and sing along. <cheesy grin>

A few lovely new (or old) words struck my fancy. I'm always surprised (you'd think I'd get over it) that things like this are actually in dictionaries:

Canoodling (Marcellus says something along the lines of " . . . there's gonna be some canoodling!")

Merriam-Webster says: Etymology: perhaps from English dialect canoodle, noun, donkey, fool, foolish lover
: PET, FONDLE <lovers canoodling in the park>

Frittering ("yes, your young men'll be frittering!")

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Canoodle is not uncommon in UK English, though it's probably rather an old-fashioned term these days. But it is, I feel, infinitely more appealing than some of the more earthily biological expressions in common use amongst the younger generation.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe this word isn't all that "special," but I laughed so much when I heard it. One of my colleagues was describing a fellow colleague to me (the latter wears short skirts and very low-cut tops) and called her a "flim-flam floozy." Now that one I hadn't heard, but it sure is funny! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote "...One of my colleagues was describing a fellow colleague to me (the latter wears short skirts and very low-cut tops) ..."

A picture in these cases is worth a plethora of words, even such good ones as flim-flam-floozy (didn't the original one have a floy-floy?)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, maybe this word isn't all that "special," but I laughed so much when I heard it. One of my colleagues was describing a fellow colleague to me (the latter wears short skirts and very low-cut tops) and called her a "flim-flam floozy." Now that one I hadn't heard, but it sure is funny! Big Grin

Here's a picture of Flim Flam Floozy (about halfway down). It doesn't match your description, though!

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
flim-flam-floozy (didn't the original one have a floy-floy?)
Almost but not quite. It wasn't flim-flam-floozy, but Flat-Foot-Floogie, who possessed the floy floy.

I can't tell you why his floy floy was sometimes a floy doy. This gap of knowledge will trouble me unceasingly. Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, the flat foot floogie with a floy, floy,
Flat foot floogie with a floy, floy,
Flat foot floogie with a floy, floy,
Floy doy, floy doy, floy doy.

Yeah, yeah yeah, byah, oh, baby!
Yeah, byah, byah, oh, baby!
Yeah, byah, byah, oh, baby!
Yeah, byah, byah!
Ah, they don't write great lyrics like that anymore!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I bet that floogie has been frittering away his time with canoodling!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post