Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    segway into an eggcorn
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

segway into an eggcorn Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
I love when folks get riled up over nothing. Like assuming that a noun has been verbed when in fact the verb is just a plain old verb from before they were born. The term segue is originally an Italian musical term from the Latin verb which gives us non sequitur. How apt.

quote:
Yet buzzwords have sunk lower than we ever thought possible. Overheard in a recent fluffette meeting was (albeit by a client) the use of the word Segway as a verb. As in "Oh I guess now's the time to just Segway into that issue a little".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lol - I've never seen it spelt like that.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
While not always true, it seems to me that the more sophisticated the linguaphile, the more he/she is willing to put up with in an evolving language. The inflexibles seem to cling to their rules like a security blanket.

And I am somewhere in between, but I used to hold my security blanket near and dear to me! Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cat:
Lol - I've never seen it spelt like that.

Seque; segway.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tinman. Looking at the links, I recognise the Segway, although I still don't recall hearing it being called that or seeing the name written down (and certainly not as a misspelling of segue).

It does make me laugh how the author of the post zmj quoted fell into that classic trap of citing something as wrong without checking it first, and then, since that wasn't enough, went and misspelt the word they were misusing!

I live in fear of mistakes like that Roll Eyes.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I thought a Segway was a make of piano. Big Grin

The Wikipedia article cited by tinman defines 'Segway' as a self-balancing dual electric servo, stand-up scooter with two wheels. The only mention of the 'transition' meaning is a link to 'segue' right at the bottom of the page, presumably for people who wanted the transition word but cannot spell.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
presumably for people who wanted the transition word but cannot spell.

Lol Big Grin