Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Sticky-outie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sticky-outie Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My husband needed a haircut, and I called his hair "sticky-outie"...it's babyish, I know, but it seemed to describe it so well. There really is no other word that works; it wasn't really "unkempt" or "dishelveled." It was definitely "sticky-outie." [He got a haircut, and it's quite handsome right now. Smile]

My question...have you made up any words to describe something where there isn't a perfect word for it? If so, what are there?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
His hair was sticking out?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sniglet books are full of such things. My favorite is the one for when it is raining and you drive under a bridge. The rain stops hitting the car momentarily. That is a downpause.

posted Hide Post
A wordboard is an Internet site at which words are discussed

I thought it had been my invention but a couple of the half-dozen significant Ghits are close in meaning

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Richard invented catapostrophe for "apostrophe misuse" some years ago. I quite like it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
His hair was sticking out?

Unfortunately, yes, zmj.

I forgot about catapostrophe; that is a good one! There are even 325 Google sites for it, though many are redundant (including some from OEDILF and Wordcraft) and others aren't relevant to the apostrophe definition.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post