Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chit-Chat Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My boss annoys me no end when she continually says, "Let's 'chit-chat' about that". There have to be better words to use.

So, I looked "talk" up in the online thesaurus today and found 189 synonyms. Perhaps I should send it to her as a blind e-mail attachment! One of my favorites was rhapsodize. "Let's 'rhapsodize' about that!" What are other words about "talking" that you like or use?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds better than my boss who wants to "dialogue".

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
That's far better than a boss I once had who only wanted to monologue!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I had a "monologuer" once too!

I know "dialogue" can be used as a verb, but somehow it seems to be much better when used as a noun.

Interestingly, I just looked it up in the AHD online and found a usage note regarding its use as a verb. It should not be used as an informal exchange of views, such as in the sentence: "Critics have charged that the department was remiss in not trying to dialogue with representatives of the community before hiring the new officers." Interesting, because in academia and organizations I see it used that way all the time!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Quote '...Sounds better than my boss who wants to "dialogue". ...'
That's far better than a boss I once had who only wanted to monologue!

Digressing, is there a difference between a monologue and a soliloquy?

posted Hide Post
I have always assumed that a soliloquy could be private whereas a monologue anticipated an audience.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Isn't "soliloquy" mostly used in dramas when the actor/actress talks to the audience?

posted Hide Post
Indeed it is - but it is supposedly for the speaker's ears only. Hamlet's most famous soliloquy is actually about his own inner thoughts (and the audience are actually eavesdropping).

Richard English