Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    One for all you art lovers out there (you know who you are!)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One for all you art lovers out there (you know who you are!) Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7126058.stm

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Some background on Brian Haw, the subject of Wallinger's piece, for those not familiar with him or his protest.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I did see this article an wondered why Brian Haw's camp site is a camp site whereas an exact reproduction of it is a prize-winning piece of art.

In the end I decided it was just the usual bit of Turner Prize cobblers and dismissed the story from the serious-thought part of my brain.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, I just can't help myself...

How is it different to a statue of Winston Churchill being art while Winston himself was not?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
PS

Bet you were impressed with the artist dressing as a bear and wandering around an empty art gallery with the lights on while someone filmed the reactions of passers-by.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:

How is it different to a statue of Winston Churchill being art while Winston himself was not?

Winnie may not have been a work of art, but he was an artist.

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big Grin We see that, Bob. Our art discussions have been interesting, that's for sure.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because it wasn't a sculpture, or a painting or even a photograph - it was an exact copy.

If WC had been standing in Parliament square he'd still have been WC, not a work of art. But his statue is a sculpture and sculptures are normally considered to be art (although there are many such that I wouldn't give that credit to).

So far as the artist is concerned, I very much suspect that he thought of it far more as a good way to con a few thousand out of the gullible "art experts" who sit on the Turner Prize committee, rather than a great work of art. Not that he'd admit it, that's for sure.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:

Because it wasn't a sculpture, or a painting or even a photograph - it was an exact copy.

Which presumably means that a really good sculpture, that looks just exactly like the original and is painted to have perfect skin tone and look, feel and smell just exactly like the original, therefore isn't art it's just a copy.
The more accurate and "better" it is, the less it is art.

As I said, sometimes, I just can't help myself. Roll Eyes

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
But his statue is a sculpture and sculptures are normally considered to be art
And, if I recall, we have a definition of art posted somewhere here that all of us agree with... Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Which presumably means that a really good sculpture, that looks just exactly like the original and is painted to have perfect skin tone and look, feel and smell just exactly like the original, therefore isn't art it's just a copy.

If it's a perfect copy of someone else's work of art then it's a copy. If it's simply a pefect model of something then it is probably not a work of art - it's a model.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
And, if I recall, we have a definition of art posted somewhere here that all of us agree with...

If there is I have never seen it. If there were then we could judge all art against a proper definition and would not need to resort to opinion.

I did post the criteria to which I believe all art should conform - but that is not the same thing as a definition.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Richard, did you see the wink?

Sometimes we have to agree to disagree...which we have done with this subject.