Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Philematology
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Philematology Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Happy Valentine's Day!

Apparently there is a science of kissing...philematology, and according to this article there is more science to it than I ever thought. For example:
quote:
At Pennsylvania's Lafayette College, Hill, the neurology professor, is studying the chemicals that the body releases—and exchanges—when couples kiss, such as the stress-related hormone cortisol and the bonding-related chemical oxytocin.

"We think [kissing] has stress-reducing properties at least for those couples who are in committed relationships," said Evan Lebovitz, a senior neuroscience major who is Hill's assistant.

How did they determine this?

Hill and her team split a group of college-age couples into two groups: Members of one kissed for 15 minutes, and the others conversed without physical contact. She took blood and saliva samples before and after the sessions.

While getting college-age couples to kiss doesn't sound like a tough task, Hill didn't take any chances and turned part of the school's neuroscience building into a love den; the team lit candles, hung drapes and soothed the students by playing smooth jazz.
Now that study I might have taken part in when I was in college!

They also introduced me to a new word for "kissing"...osculation. I can just hear it now, "Would you like to osculate with me?" Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
In earthquakes one may experience seismic patterns called Love waves. In a geology class quiz waaaaay back in 1963 we were asked what Love waves were. I wrote, "A series of osculations." Gives a whole new meaning to "Did you feel the earth move with that kiss?" Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post