Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    New study on babies' language development
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New study on babies' language development Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
The NY Times reported that a study will be published in the Acta Paediatrica about babies learning their native language even before they're born. They used a very novel way of measuring the babies' interest in Swedish and English vowel sounds by their vigor of sucking. American babies sucked more when hearing Swedish vowel sounds, suggesting they hadn't heard them before. Similarly, Swedish babies sucked more vigorously when they heard English vowel sounds. The authors concluded that the babies couldn't have possibly learned so quickly after birth (they were 7 to 75 hours old), so their learning must be attributed to prenatal learning.

Very interesting!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I remember some time back seeing somewhere that unborn/newborn babies recognised the sounds of the language they'd heard in the womb. How researchers determined that they recognised it, I can't remember.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not surprising IMO. Amniotic fluid can pass sound waves as well as any other liquid.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I cannot wait to see the actual study when it comes out.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
This thread flew by & I missed it. Such an interesting topic. In my eldest's last few months in utero, I was busy brushing up a couple of Chopin pieces I'd learned in youth, & learning a new one. Later, when he moved out of our bedroom & into a crib, we tried a selection of tapes for him to hear as he drifted off to sleep. Once he could verbalize a bit (age 9mos or so), he made clear he preferred Horowitz' Chopin album to Sesame St etc.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post