Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Most often looked-up words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most often looked-up words Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
A short article on the words most often looked up, this year, on MW's site. The words include kerfuffle, fungible, promiscuous and trifecta.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first is pretty obscure, the second is a word I've looked up several times, the third is pretty common and shouldn't really require a lookup, and the fourth is almost always used in a context where it is completely clear.

For example, when a player shoots a 3 point basket, Dick Vitale might yell "He hit the trifecta".

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We've talked about fungible several times here (this is an example of a good discussion; Tinman did a lot of research on it), and it is often misused. In that link, Afghanistan loyalties being described as "fungible" is certainly not an accurate use of the word.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seanahan:
The first is pretty obscure, the second is a word I've looked up several times, the third is pretty common and shouldn't really require a lookup, and the fourth is almost always used in a context where it is completely clear.

Just shows how we all differ. For me the first is an ordinary everyday word that I've used thousands, if not millions, of times in my normal speech. The second I know mostly from previous discussions here. The third, I agree, is entirely commonplace and the fourth I have never heard in my life.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Indeed.
Kerfuffle is a common word for me, which I wouldn't have thought needed looking-up by most English-speakers.
Promiscuous is similar, but I suppose some might have difficulty with the spelling.
Fungible is fairly rare, but we've discussed it here before. I can see why it should be looked up often.
Trifecta seems to be used only in the US, Australia, and NZ. I had to look it up, like Bob. I'd guess that most people who didn't know it were from the UK.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Kerfuffle seems to me to be a Britishism. I know it, but don't use it myself. I've heard trifecta but don't really know what it means.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I went to the Web site and found these words (in that order) were those most frequently looked up in 2005:

integrity
refugee
contempt
filibuster
insipid
tsunami
pandemic
conclave
levee
inept

Integrity? Sheesh!

BTW, they also had a site where you can vote for the word that best sums up 2006, and I voted. I suspect that most oldtimers here might be able to guess which word I voted for. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
> the fourth ["trifecta"] I have never heard in my life.

> I had to look it up, like Bob.

> I've heard trifecta but don't really know what it means.
tsk tsk Wink How soon they forget. Big Grin

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
integrity

Probably GW Bush and Tony B. Liar looking it up. They'd heard other people use the word and wondered what it means. Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post