Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Keep your hands to yourself
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keep your hands to yourself Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Be very careful with your digits. I wonder why they didn't mention the one you shouldn't use in the US.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The article is about gestures that are innocent in the United States that mean something completely different (and offensive) overseas. There's no need to mention offensive US gestures, therefore, unless somewhere it has another meaning.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There was also a link in that article to 8 offensive English words. For example, I didn't know the English call what we call "bangs," "fringe."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
bangs

The verb "to bang" can mean "to have sex with" but I can't think of a prurient connotation to the noun.

I think most English people are pretty well aware of this American usage, and the others on that page, through American TV shows, films and books anyway. We might make a joke about it, and enjoy pointing out the meaning over here, but we are unlikely to misunderstand.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And it isn't true to say that "bugger" is equivalent to "the f-word" (as they coyly put it). "Bugger is far milder and less offensive.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
And "bugger" can even be used as a term of endearment or affection in some circumstances.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The verb "to bang" can mean "to have sex with"
Same here.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So if you have a heart attack and die during coitus it's "going out with a bang?"

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
So if you have a heart attack and die during coitus it's "going out with a bang?"

Or is that the Big Bang?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post