Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh dear Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
A picture taken on our recent college trip to Stratford.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
So, someone named Great Coffee has breakfasts, salads, and light lunches, and someone else named Afternoon Tea has pastries and cakes and daily specials. "Panini's" is, of course, a mistake. Confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the modern conventions for apostrophe use weren't established until the mid 1800's it's likely that the English language's most famous writer made the same "mistake" that you see in this sign.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
True. It's the arbitrary inconsistency that amuses me. (And yes, I am aware that Shakespeare was arbitrarily inconsistent even in the spelling of his own name). The current standard is to NOT use apostrophes in plurals. And let's face it "tea", "coffee" and even "panini" are hardly obscure or unfamiliar words.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, and using them can cause confusion. I wonder why some have apostrophes and others don't. I found that strange.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, and using them can cause confusion. I wonder why some have apostrophes and others don't. I found that strange.

It's simply that a whole generation in England has grown up without the benefit of a proper eductation in English grammar.

I recall speaking to a member of one of my training groups who was expounding on the flipchart work that he group had done. I jokingly asked why their scribe had put apostrophes in words like "video's" and "map's" and her response was that she just added them "where they looked right".

In other words, she had seen apostrophes used and felt that that they had some measure of importance, but had no idea what their function was. I suspect she spoke for her entire generation.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post