Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Censorship Revisited
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Censorship Revisited Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have always been against any type of censorship, and, at the same time, I would put my life on the line for freedom of speech.

However, reading this editorial in the Chicago Tribune, I am confused. I think the greater good is served by censoring these intensely violent games.

What do you think? Is censorship ever acceptable? Is this the case? If not, when?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Whether or not censorship is ever justifiable, the Internet has now made it impossible to enforce - except by restricting people's ability to access the Internet - and we must now live with the consequences of this.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Can you give me the gist of it ? When I clicked your link I got a screen telling me I needed to be a registered user to read the story.

Why should I let the toad work
Squat on my life ?
Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork
And drive the brute off ?
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, I am sorry. That probably means that no one hear can read it. It refers to a gruesome computer game about killing people. Here are a few key quotes:

"Video game makers have been busily hawking increasingly brutal games for years now, and that seems to have posed a challenge. After games that revel in cop killings, mass murder, prostitution, shootings and rape--where do you go, creatively speaking?"

"The folks at Rockstar North have answered that question. Following up on the company's 'Grand Theft Auto' game, in which players get ahead by running over hookers, the company's new game, 'Manhunt,' lets you be the star of your own snuff film. The object is to kill all those around you to the approving comments of a demented movie director whispering in your ear."

"Players are scored according to method of killing, with a 'hasty' kill drawing the fewest points. A 'gruesome' kill that draws out the process is rewarded with the highest score. Then you watch your 'money shot' slaughter in grainy playback--all for the fictitious film.

"'The things you have heard are correct,' writes a video game reviewer on one entertainment Web site. 'Manhunt is bloody, violent and sick. Even the most hardened gamer will squint their eyes or grit their teeth as they watch these grisly deaths.' Of course, the review goes on to praise the game for its cool graphics and sound."

The editor goes on the cite that public health groups, including the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association concluded years ago that viewing lots of violence can lead to real-life violence. Further, he cites that video games have played a part in real-life killing, such as Lee Boyd Malvo who is now on trial for the Washington DC area sniper murders and Columbine High School murders Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who enjoyed "Doom," a first-person shooter game.

I think that is the gist. My liberal political stance tells me that we shouldn't censor these games, but the mother in me says that we should. While they have a "Mature" rating and should be kept out the hands of kids 16 and under, that doesn't always happen.

I truly am stymied by this one and would love to hear your thoughts.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
This seems, to me anyway, to be an easy call.

"Free speech" is not total. The oft-used example of not being permitted to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theater does not equate to censoring the speaker.

Prohibiting videos such as these for the common good only makes sense. The problem, however, is in deciding where to draw the line. What is offensive to some is acceptable to others.

(On a somewhat related note, this reminds me of an incident back during the Nixon/Watergate nightmare when someone on Nixon's staff was given the task of editting some tape transcripts so that offensive language was removed before they were released to the press. This person prided himself on being a very devout Christian so he took out all the "Goddamn"s but he left in all the "nigger"s, "Jew-boys," and a host of other highly objectionable terms!)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't see how it can be an "easy call" when you don't know where to draw the line. To me, that is the point.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Aha, I read in the Chicago Sun Times today that this video game has been taken off the market in New Zealand! I wonder what sort of censorship laws they have there?