Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The answer to one of my many peeves
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The answer to one of my many peeves Login/Join

posted
Among my many rants, I've grumped about the illogic of calling a modified version of rugby "football." Finally, someone has dug deeply enough into this issue to explain it: https://sites.udel.edu/amahdi/.../soccer-or-football/ Now I can shut up and you all can rejoice.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Er...? There is a ball. You kick it. With your foot. Where is the illogic? (Of course you might be referring to the game you guys call "football" and that is illogical, but your reference to soccer has confused me.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We in the USA don't get your logic, Bob. Too rational for US sports types.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
By your logic footwear would be gloves, footprints would be on your fingers and to cross a footbridge you would need to walk on your hands.

posted Hide Post
Precisely, Bob. Sports and politics have nothing to do with logic in the USA. I'm going to start selling Donald's Knuckle Balm to 'em.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
By your logic footwear would be gloves, footprints would be on your fingers and to cross a footbridge you would need to walk on your hands.

Funnily enough, the German for "glove" is Handschuh, which is literally "hand-shoe".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Indeed, and one of my favourite German words is the word for mobile phone - das Handy, which is handy. Big Grin

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
There are a bunch of these faux English words in German. Besides "handy" I love "beamer" for LCD projector.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Forget "Beamer," here's the North German term:http://acronymsandslang.com/definition/1511878/BMW-meaning.html

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I always knew that BMWs were called Beamers, but I had never known what BMW stands for: Bayerische Mist Wagen.

And now I do! Thanks, Geoff!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I always knew that BMWs were called Beamers, but I had never known what BMW stands for: Bayerische Mist Wagen.

And now I do! Thanks, Geoff!

You may know this already and I may not realise that you have got the joke but it doesn't mean that. That's actually a joke name meaning "Bavarian s**t car". It really stands for Bayerische Motoren Werke meaning the Bavarian Motor Company.

Of course you wouldn't know that from the linked site, which is an object lesson in why you should always be wary about things you find on the internet. It is interesting though just how many abbreviation finder sites quote this joke as fact - I suppose that if enough people use it then it's A meaning even if not the official one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

posted Hide Post
I should have been more clear. Sorry, Kalleh, for misleading you.

As for the original post, I don't understand how Bob sees it as illogical. We in the USA do not call what the rest of the world calls "football" football, but "soccer." US "football" is really modified rugby, coplete with oblate spheroid instead of a round ball.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
illogical

Language (or grammar) and logic have little to do with one another.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Of course they don't but when coming up with a word to describe a new sport why would you call a sport where you (almost) exclusively use your hands "foot"ball?

posted Hide Post
Precisely! Maybe the best answer I can find is this one, written by a non-native English speaker, it appears: https://www.scottfujita.com/wh...all-called-football/

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
why would you call a sport where you (almost) exclusively use your hands "foot"ball?

'Cause that's how the word evolved linguistically. (Maybe it was just to piss off the peevers.) When I was a kid, I often wondered why the game of cricket was so called. I mean it's not like there are any Orthopteran insects playing. While I find non-questions like "Why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway" humorous, I do not see them as generating topics for linguistic studies.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.