Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jingoism Login/Join

Picture of Richard English
posted
There was an item on the Beeb this morning about the present campaign to have St George's Day made a Bank (public) Holiday - a campaign that I fully support.

But one of the show's presenters asked of one of the guests, "Don't you think there's too much English jingoism these days?" Of course, I disagree - I believe that with a few exceptions (like myself) most Englishmen and women are the reverse of jingoistic; they seek every opportunity to denigate England and its institutions.

What do we all think? Is there too much jingoism in England these days - and is jingoism even the best noun to use to describe a measure of pride in one's country?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't know since I don't live there, but we do hear a lot in our media that often the English aren't very positive about their country or their people. I do agree, Richard, that you are not one of them.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"Jingoism" has its roots in the British "gunboat diplomacy" of the later part of the nineteenth century.
    We don't want to fight but by Jingo if we do
    We've got the ships, we've got the men, we've got the money too
    We've fought the Bear before, and while we're Britons true
    The Russians shall not have Constantinople.

It is generally used nowadays in a pejorative way, rather in like Chauvinism.

Probably the best word to use in this context is patriotism, although in these cynical times that, too, sometimes has negative overtones.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Jingoism is to patriotism what Donnie Darko is to Harvey.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hadn't realized jingoism came from Britain. I should have known, though, since the Brits invented everything.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:
quote:
Jingoism is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as "extreme patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy".[1] In practice, it refers to the advocation of the use of threats or actual force against other countries in order to safeguard what they perceive as their country's national interests, and colloquially to excessive bias in judging one's own country as superior to others – an extreme type of nationalism.

The term originated in Britain, expressing a pugnacious attitude towards Russia in the 1870s. During the 19th century in the United States, journalists called this attitude spread-eagleism. "Jingoism" did not enter the U.S. vernacular until near the turn of the 20th century. This nationalistic belligerence was intensified by the sinking of the battleship USS Maine in Havana harbour that led to the Spanish-American War of 1898.

And here's the derivation and definition of jingo from the OED Online:
quote:
[Appears first c1670 as a piece of conjuror's gibberish, usually hey or high jingo!, prob. a mere piece of sonorous nonsense with an appearance of mysterious meaning. In 1694 by jingo occurs in Motteux's transl. of Rabelais, where the Fr. has par Dieu: this, being contemporary with the conjuror's term, may be presumed (though not proved) to be the same word, substituted, as in many other cases, for a sacred name: cf. by golly, gock, gom, gosh, jabers, etc. In Scotland, by jing (or jings) has long been in common use.

A recent conjecture, since jingo began to attract attention, would identify it with the Basque word for ‘God’, given by Van Eys and Larramendi as Jinko, Jainko (Yinko, Yainko), Jincoa, Jaincoa; the suggestion being that this may have been caught up from Basque sailors. Such an origin is not impossible, but is as yet unsupported by evidence. The grotesque notion that the word is short for St. Gengulphus is merely a joke of the author of the Ingoldsby Legends.]

[Derived from the expression ‘by Jingo!’ in the refrain of the music-hall song, quoted in sense 2, 1878, which became the Tyrtæan ode of the party ready to fight Russia in 1878.]

3. A nickname for those who supported and lauded the policy of Lord Beaconsfield in sending a British fleet into Turkish waters to resist the advance of Russia in 1878; hence, one who brags of his country's preparedness for fight, and generally advocates or favours a bellicose policy in dealing with foreign powers; a blustering or blatant ‘patriot’; a Chauvinist.

The first citation is from 1879.

I hadn't known that jingo was also a verb:
quote:
1898 Daily News 28 Feb. 5/7 A member of the Cabinet stated in an interview to-day that President McKinley..would not be jingoed into war.

There's also jingodom, jingoesque. and jingoish.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
When I first read this thread, I remembered thinking that jingoism would not be the word I'd use for the concept I think Richard was writing about.

BTW, what is the reverse of jingoism?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I haven't bothered to Google it, but I recall from my schooldays that the rhyme (which was reproduced in my English textbook) ran as follows:

"We don't want to fight, but by jingo if we do
We've got the men, we've got the ships and we've got the money too!"

I regards jingoism as more extreme than patriotism - although today I have put my English flags outside the front door and, by jingo, I intend to boast of my Englishness to all who will listen!

Yesterday I was proud to be at a ceremony in West Wittering to commemorate the death of one of England's greatest sons - Sir Henry Royce - who died on 22 April 1933. The sleepy road past his old house was jammed with around forty Rolls-Royces of all ages.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post