Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holiday Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Interesting concept of the world "holiday" here in China. Not sure when exactly but, next week we have three days off. However, we will probably have to work two consecutive Sundays to make up two of the days. My school and my Chinese colleagues insist that this is a three day holiday and my assertion that it is a one day holiday and two "moved Sundays" convinces no one.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with you. It seems a little to shady to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As I thought... my "three day holiday" is Wednesday to Friday but I will be teaching Thursday's lessons tomorrow (Sunday) and Friday's lessons next Sunday. Nevertheless they insist that it is a three day holiday.

I wish they would stop giving us holidays. Once, when I was working in two schools which organised their holidays differently, the "holiday" ended up meaning that I had to work eighteen days straight.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I met a woman at a conference recently whose position here in the states was cut. Therefore, she became a consultant in China. She told me some great stories, and she says she has many more. It must be an interesting place!

One story was that she was consulting in a very large medical center that had a high infection rate. As she was touring she happened to mention that, instead of having hand-washing soap at the end of their long halls, they should have it outside of each patient's door. The next day when she came back - outside of each patient's door, throughout this huge medical center, there were soap dispensers! She said the hierarchy there is amazing - they get things done!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post