Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Books that should have been movies.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books that should have been movies. Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I was listening to an interview where the interviewee mentioned EE “Doc” Smith and it made me think again about books and book series where I am truly baffled that they have never been made into movies or TV series. Smith’s Lensman series, for example is crying out for the big budget special effects treatment. And away from the SF genre I have often mentioned the Flashman series which (apart from a terrible adaptation of Royal Flash) has never had the treatment it deserves.
Which other books or book series do you know that ought to have been made into movies or series but never have?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
St-Exupery's little book, The Little Prince has been made into a bad movie twice, neither time capturing the fantasy or the adult implications. I'd love to see it done well. I'd also like to see well-done adaptions of Tolstoy's and Maupasant's short stories.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The Man Who Was Thursday by GK Chesterton; Rigodon (Rigadoon) by Louis-Ferdinand Céline; À rebours (Against Nature/Against the Grain) by Joris-Karl Huysmans.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
The Man Who Was Thursday by GK Chesterton; Rigodon (Rigadoon) by Louis-Ferdinand Céline; À rebours (Against Nature/Against the Grain) by Joris-Karl Huysmans.

I haven't seen it but there is a 2016 film which is either an adaptation or inspired by The Man Who Was Thursday. There is also a radio adaptation. Another that should do well in view of modern TV series would be Anne MaCaffrey's Dragonrider books.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post