Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Spreading THE Word
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spreading THE Word Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
At the start of this academic year we had a new manager in the department. She came in a the level that made her my boss's boss. She also came in with an attitude that managed to irritate just about everybody in the division. Everybody below her in the hierarchy anyway.

There have recently been threats of redundancy and, while it's now been agreed that no one will be forced to leave, her post is one of those that no longer exists. So it wasn't exactly sympathy that was expressed when we discovered yesterday that she is being "redeployed". She is being redeployed as an MGL. That's my grade, so she's dropped down two whole levels.

The point of telling you this is that someone in the office used the word Schadenfreude to describe how she was feeling and I decided to do my good deed for the day and spread the knowledge of Kalleh's favourite word.

She even wrote it down.

You can thank me later.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
P.S. I've just realised that I've also given Kalleh something she can put on her blog.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can thank me later.
Oh, I will thank you now! How did you pronounce it? That's always been a stumbling block for me because I only read the word and don't hear it pronounced. The dictionaries only define it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Bob, you've restored my faith in humanity! It's so rare that justice is served!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
/'epɪ'kærɪ'kəsi/

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yep. That's how I pronounce it, too.

Hey, I am beginning to understand IPA!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just spread the word at the "Joy in Health Care" conference I mentioned in another thread. I was able to spread it to all 70 conference attendees.

Of course, since the conference was about "joy," and I said my favorite word was "epicaricacy," well...it didn't fit that well with the conference topic. Roll Eyes