Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

purist Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
In English usage, as in most other human affairs, it is wise to avoid extremes and follow a reasonable middle course. The extremists in matters of usage are, on the right, the purists and, on the left, the new-day linguistic anarchists. According to Bergen Evans (in his sometimes fascinating book Comfortable Words), "A purist is one who applauds a female performer by shouting 'Brava! Brava!' while learing with contempt upon the vulgar mob ignorantly shouting 'Bravo!'" A linguistic anarchist, on the other hand, may be defined as a devil who can cite Scripture and the latest count of noses to advise the populace that it is quite correct to say, "The pencil is laying on the desk," but wouldn't dream of saying it himself because he knows better. [Theodore M. Bernstein The Careful Writer: A Modern Guide to English Usage, (1965) p. 375]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The purist deplores the habit of the hoi polloi in dropping an expression anywhere it remotely seems like it ought to fit, thereby sullying its usefulness; eg,"beg the question"

Eventually the new meaning is adopted by Merriam

http://rmjacobsen.squarespace.com/notebook/2005/11/18/m...eg-the-question.html

The purist further maintians that this practice so dilutes the Mother Tongue that eventually any word can mean anything you want it to

I call the practice "smearing" but there's a better term; what is it

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The purist further maintians that this practice so dilutes the Mother Tongue that eventually any word can mean anything you want it to

How come Old English is not more expressive than Present Day English? In fact, if language is about 100 K years old, nothing means anything. Did I miss something?

I call the practice "smearing" but there's a better term; what is it

Linguistic change.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The purist deplores the habit of the hoi polloi
Shouldn't that be "The purist deplores the habit of the hoi polloi"? Wink

My hyperpuristic tongue is squarely in my cheek here.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
"A purist is one who applauds a female performer by shouting 'Brava! Brava!' while learing with contempt upon the vulgar mob ignorantly shouting 'Bravo!'"

Yeah...I remember having a purist discussion of that here once. I imagine that I was the one to use "Bravo" with a female, though I don't remember for sure.

I agree that the "middle course" is best.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:

As one who tries usually to be moderate and to take the middle course, my comment here would be that, in my considerable experience, those who sit on the fence often get shot at by both sides!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:

As one who tries usually to be moderate and to take the middle course, my comment here would be that, in my considerable experience, those who sit on the fence often get shot at by both sides!

RE, Depending on the construction and texture of the fence, you could also "get shot at" from underneath. Then you would leave the middle course to become a backs(l)ider.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shouldn't that be "The purist deplores the habit of the hoi polloi"?

Quite right, wordnerd! I was thinking of writing the same, but couldn't think of a way to say it without risking causing offence!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
As one who tries usually to be moderate and to take the middle course,

Really? I would never have guessed that. Wink

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
As one who tries usually to be moderate and to take the middle course,
It's been my experience that very few people consider their own views to be extreme. Especially in politics.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I would agree with that, and I find it fascinating.

I will admit, though, that I am more liberal (to the left, or whatever the term is) than the average American.