Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    A Brit's eye view of Seattle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Brit's eye view of Seattle Login/Join

posted
There was an article today in the Seattle Times by a transplanted Brit, Sarah Franklin, titled "Upbeat, helpful Americans give a transplanted Brit an attitude makeover".

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tinman... that was a great article! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Tinman, that was delicious.

Of course, though, she missed the point (in time she will get it)...it's her English accent! Wink It would be a cold day in Hell before most of us would be treated like that when late for an appointment.

You Brits don't know how valuable that accent is!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I think the answer lies in the fact that the American civilisation is much younger than that of the British and other Europeans. There is something child-like about American enthusiasm and "get-go" compared to British world-weariness and cynicism. Most Brits working in service industries tend to feel that the job is beneath them, whereas Americans have a proper respect for the dignity of labour.

Americans' love of a British accent is similar; here, children tend to be fascinated by an unusual accent, but adults merely find it annoying.

Note that by comparing Americans to children I am not trying to be disparaging in any way. I am talking about the American culture, and most certainly not individual Americans.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
In my own experience there is a more positive attitude towards service in stores and retaurants in the USA than there is in the UK - though how much of the restaurant attitude is due to the obligatory 20% tip I couldn't guess.

However, I have also experienced the customer service offered by Manhattan cabbies and I can tell you that they could certainly use a few lessons from London's - and in geography as well as manners!

And as for accent - heaven forfend that anyone should infer that my diction is anything more than that with which I was imbued by my parents and contemporaries.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post