Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Wordcount site
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wordcount site Login/Join

posted
You might enjoy the http://www.wordcount.org/main.php site, where 86,000+ English words are listed in order of their frequency of appearance. What is as easy as pie, rarer than rubies, common as daisies? It's all here.

According to the site, "WordCount data currently comes [sic] from the British National Corpus®, a 100 million word collection ... designed to represent an accurate cross-section of current English usage. WordCount includes all words that occur at least twice in the BNC®."

The skeptic in me has doubts, though. I've got to believe that there are well more than 86,000 words that "occur at least twice". (Particularly since common nouns and verbs are be double- and quadruple-counted, in their various forms: house and houses, for example, and start, started, starts, and starting.) And do you seriously expect me to believe that verkehrsberuhigun is substantially more common than idiocies, or similar anomolies?

Nontheless, it's good fun.