Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The pope tweets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The pope tweets? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Apparently Pope Benedict XVI sent his first tweet in Latin on Sunday (I am not sure if it was his first tweet or his first tweet in Latin; the article was unclear). He asked believers to "orare semper, iustitiam factitare, amare probitatem, humiles Secum ambulare." I'll let you translate it. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
"orare semper, iustitiam factitare, amare probitatem, humiles Secum ambulare."

I believe it's a verse in Latin from the Negro spritual Swing low, tweet chariot.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
orare semper, iustitiam factitare, amare probitatem, humiles Secum ambulare

To always pray, do justice frequently, love honesty. [and] walk humbly with Him. Or there abouts.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
arnie?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Pope tweets? Præcipitate semen avis!
Z, where does one get "do justice frequently?" I see the words "iustitiam factitare, but don't see how "frequently is derived. What am I missing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
-itāre is a frequentive suffix. palpāre "to touch", palpitāre "to beat, pulse", facere "to do", factitāre "to do frequently" etc. It's found in premeditate, debilitate, agitate.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Goofy. It's been fifty years since I took Latin in school - and I've forgotten every bit of it! Frown

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The Pope tweets?

I am sure there was some layers of bureaucracy in between the Supreme Pontiff and the computer. Perhaps a cardinal takes the handwritten tweet and gives it to the IT Nuncio for the Propagation of the Faith.

facere "to do", factitāre "to do frequently"

It is interesting that in this case, the frequentive form of the verb uses not the stem fac- of the verb but the past participle factus 'made, done'. When I first saw, I that that maybe, giving that the message is in Neo-Latin, that it might be a more recent derivation, but Lewis & Short cite it in a Plautus play.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
arnie, I just meant that you are a student of Latin and might want to translate it, that's all.

Apparently the pope does embrace the Web and social media.

Here is the Tribune's translation of the pope's tweet: "What does the Lord command to those wholly eager for the unity of those following Christ? To always pray, to continually do justice, to love uprightness, to walk humbly with Him," according to University of Cambridge scholar Tamer Nawar.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
What does the Lord command to those wholly eager for the unity of those following Christ?

This part of the Pope's tweet was not given above.

[Fixed typo.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Proofreader>
posted
According to some reports, the Pope is tweeting in Latin in an attempt to reinstate that language as preferred for various rituals.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Benedict has relaxed prohibitions against the saying of the Tridentine Mass (the older Latin one) in which the officiating priest has his back to the congregation mostly. He's also changed the wording of one prayer and that caused a controversy (see link). As somebody said: it's not all about Latin and incense.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Proofreader>
posted
If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me.