Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Big Society
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Society Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
The Oxford Dictionaries named "big society" the word of the year: Link
quote:
The phrase was coined by Prime Minister David Cameron, who said in July: “The big society ... is about liberation – the biggest, most dramatic redistribution of power from elites in Whitehall to the man and woman on the street.”
As far as I can tell, it hasn't made it far in the U.S.

Are there any words you'd consider for the 2010 word of the year? Mine might be "WikiLeaks."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as I can tell, it hasn't made it far in the U.S.

I can't see that it will, either. It's just political propaganda that no-one believes, anyway. What possessed Oxford to nominate that as word of the year I don't understand.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like two words to me.

We had our "Great Society" under Lyndon Johnson.
I'm still poor and the rich aren't. But then maybe it was an immoral spelling error: It was supposed to be "Grate Society," wherein the scrawny poor got washed down the drain and the fat rich who couldn't fall through the grate didn't. Analogue to "trickle down" economics, wherein those on the bottom got pissed on.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Staff from Oxford University Press said that the contest is not limited to a single word and is open to two-word expressions.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post