Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Best headline I've seen all year!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best headline I've seen all year! Login/Join

posted
Owner of killer bear chokes to death on sex toy

From an MSNBC "news" item. Really.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43.../us_news-weird_news/

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
In the UK, headline writers are fond of "noun pileups" in their output. Over here it would probably be something like Killer bear man's sex toy death or similar. Roll Eyes

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
This may be the all-time classic. See the graphic in the story.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
This page gives a pretty good attempt: Leapfrogging Mayor Injures Woman Dressed As Tomato. The BBC have since changed it to Leapfrogging mayor bruises tomato, which hardly makes it seem of great import. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
My favorite is still

FORD TO CITY: DROP DEAD

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
The Huffington Post had a headline regarding Sarah Palin's movie premiere opening to "An Empty Audience". Is that possible? Not the lack of spectators but an "audience" being "empty"? I think it might work as "empty theatre (or venue)" but not as written.

posted Hide Post
Proof, I think it was a political statement.
Maybe if it had read, "...a vacuous audience?"

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
The Huffington Post had this headline which shows the need for proper puntuation to avoid ambiguity.

Blind Dog Thought Dead Reunited With Family in Time For Christmas

I wasn't aware pets had such comoplex thought processes.

posted Hide Post
When Areola Huffington sold out to AOL I dropped my subscription and haven't looked at it since. I'm a peevish type, y'see.

I sent Kalleh a funny spelling error in a newspaper vocabulay column because I didn't know how to upload it. Kalleh, did your ever post it here?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know you sent me something, Geoff, and I thought I posted it. However, I can't find it when I search here, and I can't find it in my Gmail. Could you please send it again?

Here are some funny headlines, though some really weren't that funny. Still, I found the first funny: "Alton Attorney Accidentally Sues Himself." He deserved it, I bet! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Pardon my black humor but below headline and the first snippet of the article showed up on my google news & caught my eye...

quote:
POLICE LOOKING FOR MOTIVE AFTER 7 RELATIVES FOUND FATALLY SHOT ON CHRISTMAS IN TEXAS APARTMENT
GRAPEVINE, Texas — Investigators believe that seven people who were found dead Christmas Day were cleaning up holiday wrapping paper when they were shot...

I emailed it to my sister, suggesting someone didn't get the retro Air Jordan Nikes they were promised...

Noting the name of the town, she recommended police consult neighbors...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, you (and your sister) are naughty, Bethree! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post