New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seduction Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Ahhh, Caught your eye, didn't I? Wink

This really isn't a word post, but I find identifying the elements of words as a good way to define words. Today in the Chicago Tribune there was an article about "seduction," based on Harlequin's 2004 Romance Report: "The Art of Seduction." This was conducted by telephone interviews in 2003, though Harlequin Enterprises has done annual romance surveys for 15 years. Surprisingly, they say that if you judge "romance" on the level of sentimentality (Ahh, another DD word!), men are more romantic than women.

Here are the elements of "seduction" that they defined, and they rated the responses of people in 18 different countries:
~ "The way someone carries themselves[sic]" (Canada, Finland, France, Greece, Germany, Japan, and the USA prefer this)
~ "An intense, passionate gaze" (Norway & Spain prefer this)
~ "A soft touch, or brushing the skin" (Australia, Mexico, Norway, and Sweden prefer this)
~ "An infectious laugh" (Germany & Holland prefer this)
~ "Style of dress" (Only the Hungarians prefer this)
~ "An alluring scent" [The Brits and Americans can forget about perfume, while the Denmarkians (???)prefer it]
~ "A seductive voice" no real takers
~ "Whispers in the ear" [The Portugalians (???) prefer this]
~"Touseled hair" (Once again, the Portugalians prefer this]

I know you Brits are sitting on the edges of your seats waiting to hear the elements your people chose. Though you didn't have large percents in any single area, your preferences tended to be "The way someone carries himself" and "An intense gaze."

And, guess who had the largest percentage of people who responded "Don't know/not stated"? The Brits, of course!

What attribute is the most seductive? looks, money, power, fame, don't know?? Japan and Spain preferred money, while all the other countries largely preferred......LOOKS. Norway was amazing. A whopping 88% perferred looks, while only 6% money, 2% power, and 3% fame. Greece was the most divided with 38% looks, 25% money, 24% power, and 12% fame. The US was 52% looks, 20% money, 14% power, and 5% fame. The UK was 58% looks, 18% money, 14% power, and 1% fame. Once again, 8% of the Brits chose "don't know/didn't state," which was the largest percent of all the countries.

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Wed Feb 11th, 2004 at 13:06.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
No biggie but all my Denmarkian and Portugalian friends (of whom, to be totally honest, I have approximately zero) would prefer the terms "Danes" and "Portuguese."

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Of course, those who have a copy of the "World Travel Dictionary" (published by Columbus, although modesty prevents my saying who edited it) will be able to find out the names by which inhabitants of various countries are usually known.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
published by Columbus
Wouldn't a book published in the 1490s or thereabouts be a little out of date by now? Wink

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True. But that particular man didn't have a copyright on his name. There is at least one other and mine is here:

www.columbustravelguides.com

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Richard,

£89.50? Thanks but I think I'll pass on that one. Wink

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the price of the World Travel Sales Guide, not the dictionary. The dictionary's £16.50.

Sadly, if you buy the latest edition you won't find my name in it as they decided to get someone else to update it for the third edition. I complained, actually, as they didn't credit me as the founding editor - and even Fowler is still credited after nearly 100 years after the OED.

At present I can supply edition number two at a remainder price of £10 plus £1.50 p&p.but once this last box has gone that's the end of them.

Richard English