Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    extraneous negation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

extraneous negation Login/Join

posted
I'm reading John Wyndham's The Chrysalids, and I noticed this:
quote:

It was perplexing to know whether the time had not come when we ought to get rid of the tell-tale great-horses - perhaps drive them on along the track while we made off in a different direction on foot. The decision was difficult to make without more information.

I don't see how the presence or absence of that not makes any difference to the meaning. Similar to these sentences.

posted Hide Post
To me it adds a sense that the writer feels that the time HAS come, without question, despite hs claiming to be perplexed.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wonder if in this case it isn't a form of "...perplexing to know whether or not the time had come..."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I agree with Geoff. It's idiomatic and it emphasizes that the time has come.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Ditto to Geoff and wordmatic.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't get that interpretation, but fair enough.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, in rereading it I can see that it isn't my way. Yet, I don't interpret it Geoff's way either.

On a different point, in that 2006 post that you linked to, goofy, I see it was your first time here with us. So glad you joined us!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post