Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Southern USA expressions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southern USA expressions Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I just read about 2 wonderful southern expressions and would love to hear more. Here are my two:

~ frog strangler - meaning heavy rain

~ lower than a pregnant duck - meaning you're depressed.

Aren't those great? It's interesting that they are both about animals. I wonder if that is common with southern phraseology.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard anyone with a Northern parent say they've been warned with the threat, "I'm gonna snatch you baldheaded!" And, it is usually Southern parents who address their children with all three of their names, especially when the kid is in trouble, as in, "Bobbie Jo Wilson, I am gonna snatch you baldheaded if you don't get in here!"

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Dick Syatt wrote a wonderful book of regionalisms, titled Like We Say Back Home. Some samples:
    I'm too old a cat to be fooled by a kitten.
  • Ornery: He's so nasty that when he's in the hospital the nurses send him get well cards.
  • Anger: It's enough to make a preacher lay his Bible down.
  • Busy: busy as a pregnant squirrel in a forest fire.
    busy as a cat on a marble-topped table.
  • cheap: so tight he squeeks when he walks.
    so stingy that he crawls under the gate to save the hinges.
    tighter than a gnats ass.
    so cheap she won't take a cold shower because the goose pimples are hard on the soap.
    If he had the flu, he wouldn't give you a sneeze.
More to come, if motivation strikes.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, while finishing an autobiography last night, I encountered those two phrases you posted. I think maybe we were reading the same book!

Others:
"She looked like something the cat dragged in but the kittens wouldn't play with."

"I'm gonna cloud up and rain all over you."

"He got onto him like white on rice!"