Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Portmanteau words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portmanteau words Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Recently, I looked up "to eat humble pie" in World Wide Words and got this fascinating explanation. It challenged me to think of other "portmanteau" words (words formed by merging the sounds and meanings of 2 different words); AHD helped me out with slithy from lithe and slimy and chortle from chuckle and snort. I must confess that I had never even heard of "portmanteau words" before. What portmanteau words can you think of?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Smog came from smoke + fog.

The advertizing buzzword "shoppertunity," while it might grate upon the ear, is another obvious example.

How about we expand this thread to include our own concoctions?

Apostrofeebleminded - adj. Referring to people seemingly incapable of learning the relatively simple rules regarding the correct use of the apostrophe.

Flybrary - n. Combination airplane and bookmobile, an interesting concept for encouraging literacy but one undoubtedly doomed to failure due to the exorbitant costs involved.

Keybored - adj. Ennui resulting from excessive web surfing. (Doesn't occur on this site!)

Computicked off - adj phrase. Pissed off because the computer is down again!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I love "Computicked" (Did you see my early "computer unsavvy thread"?)! Great--I love the expansion of this thread. Now, to think of some....

posted Hide Post
When my son was very young he had toys named "Construx". One day he asked me to hand him the "Constructions" so he could make something that was pictured. I liked it! smile

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well after all this time, I finally found one:

luxmobile I saw that in our newspaper yesterday. The writer was referring to his hatred of luxury automobiles. I must say, I agree heartily with him--especially SUVs (note the missing apostrophe. I am soooo good!).

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Here are some exerpts from a list I found:

motel = motor + hotel
blaxploitation = black + exploitation
Oxbridge = "Oxford" + "Cambridge"
infomercial = information + commercial
squiggle = squirm + wiggle
flare = flame + glare
flounder = flounce + founder
glimmer = gleam + shimmer
glitz = glamour + ritz
smash = smack + mash
brunch = breakfast + lunch
soundscape = sound + landscape

And some internet terms:
emoticon = emotion + icon
netiquette = internet + etiquette
freeware = free + software

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Question: Humpty Dumpty discusses these words in Lewis Carrol's Through the Looking Glass. "You see," he says, "it's like a portmanteau -- there are two meanings packed up into one word." Is this the origin of the portmanteau word?

Oops! The site posted just above says that Carroll indeed coined that term.

posted Hide Post
I thought a portmanteau was piece of furniture where you hang your coats!

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
SUVs are what? Is it some sort of utility vehicle, like a Jeep or Range Rover?

If so, I am inclined to agree. However, as the owner of a Rolls-Royce I have to say I have a different opinion about REAL luxury vehicles!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Kalleh's "luxmobile" brings to mind what might possibly be the most revolting example of this particular type of word. The vehicle that Pope John Paul II rides in when he tours various foreign cities is referred to as "The Pope-mobile."

I think this is an American coinage. I wouldn't be a bit surprised. On one of the Pope's visits to the land of the free and the home of the capitalist, vendors along the route he was driven were selling T-shirts emblazoned "I Took a Peek at the Pope!"

We're so devout!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, that reminds me, CJ, of the batmobile.

Yes, Richard, SUVs are those big lugs, like the Land Rovers, that are meant for driving in the mountains and the like, but are really used to car pool. Can I please have a ride in your Rolls-Royce?

Hic, since "portmanteau" is a large leather suitcase that opens into two hinged compartments, I believe you are precisely right as to why it is used to describe 2 words put together.

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Wed Dec 4th, 2002 at 13:01.]

posted Hide Post
Resurrecting an old thread with a terrific new example from http://www.mindingthecampus.com/originals/2008/01/whats_new_in_diversity.html:

"Peg C.: I work for a 3 letter household global corp. and annual Diversity training is mandatory. It has devolved into ludicracy and even the libs despise and joke about it.
Posted by Peg C. | January 18, 2008 9:08 AM"

"Peg C.:
Gad, "ludicracy." This is what happens when you work 12 hour night shifts. LUNACY (or ludicrousness) is what I meant.
Posted by Peg C. | January 18, 2008 9:10 AM"

What a great collision - "ludicracy"

RJA

Posts: 488 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
ludicracy

Rule by play? Or playing with the rules? But seriously Latin ludicrus (earlier form ludicer) 'that serves for sport, done in sport, sportive' < ludus 'play, game'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ludicrous - source of amusement. (Per Etymonline, sense of "ridiculous" from 1782.)

+

Lunacy - insanity brought on by the moon.

=

Ludicracy - insanity brought on by excess ridiculousness.

RJA

Posts: 488 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Ludicracy - insanity brought on by excess ridiculousness.

Ah, yes, now I see how to do it. Ludic 'of or relating to play or playfulness' + racy 'ribald': 'ribald playfulness'. Pardon my earlier, more flawed attempt.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post