Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Luxurious Names
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luxurious Names Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
From Steve Rushin's column in the November 8th Sports Illustrated:

In America last year, more newborns were named Armani (518) than Ann (494). The number of infants called Lexus and Mercedes (1,206) exceeded the number called Nancy (1,168). More girls were christened Cristal (476), as in the high-end champagne, than Barbara (427). And we welcomed fewer Jimmys (1,129) than we did Kobes (1,203), in homage to the Laker who himself was named for the world's most expensive beef. If you don't believe me, just ask the U.S. Social Security Administration, which keeps these statistics. Instead of aspiring to the lap of luxury, parents are putting luxury in their laps.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Kobes (1,203), in homage to the Laker who himself was named for the world's most expensive beef.

Is this an aptronym? Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
As I've mentioned before, we've got all these brats named "Brittany," or variations thereof, and a Brittany is a French spaniel, so how come we don't have boys named Rottweiler or Doberman or Staffordshire?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
As a "Nancy" myself, it seems rather strange to have the names "Mercedes" or "Lexus" outnumbering my name. Now...maybe I'll start asking people to call me "Rolls-Royce!"

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
And, the Mercedes automobile was named after somebody's daughter.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Mercedes McCambridge was the Exorcist's devil voice... oooohh.

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only Nancy at my school of 1200 students, is a cafeteria worker (circa 1950)... we have tons of Lexi's, Tori's, Dori's, and one sweet girl child named Meridian. Many Rachel's, many Morgan's, many Logan's, both boy and girl. And all the little "J" named boys... Josh, Joshua, Jacob, Jake, Jonathan, Justin.. only one named John. And we have a Kristel... yikes, all this weird spelling bothers me!

And we have a little kindergartner named Royce! His twin sister is not named Rolls... Smile

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember reading a magazine article a long time ago about the strange names people name their kids. It began by telling of an army recruit who said his name was Tonsilitis Jackson. The recruiter didn't believe him, till he checked and found out he had bothers and sisters named Appendicitis, Laryngitis, Meningitis, and Peritonitis. This site gives some strange names. There are a lot more.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote, "...And, the Mercedes automobile was named after somebody's daughter..."

In fact it was Emile Jellinek's daughter. Jelinek was the Daimler importer for Austria and he agreed to take the entire production of Daimler's new model in, I think, 1903 if Daimler agreed to name it after his daughter.

She was named after the Villa Mercedes, a house the Jellineks were staying in when she was borne.

Few people realise it but the company that makes Mercedes motor cars, to this day, is not actually named Mercedes. Look at the chassis plate and you will see that the vehicle is made by the Daimler Benz company.

And that is why Germany's most famous car has a Spanish name.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tinman, great site! You kinda have to feel sorry for that Mr. Positive Wasserman Johnson. I hope he is already married because I can't imagine many single women wanting to date him! Wink

Here is a story that I posted recently about a funny name. There are some other good ones in that thread.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
[QUOTE

And that is why Germany's most famous car has a Spanish name.[/QUOTE]

One of the most common US cars has a French name, (Chevrolet) but the most famous French car has an Italian name (Bugatti). Another famous French marque was Hispano-Suiza! France's most famous aircraft builder had the very Germanic name of Bloch, while Germany had Claude Dornier. Ya just can't tell the players without a program!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I remember the story of Chevrolet's Nova car not selling in Mexico. No one could figure out why...until they realized that in Spanish it means, "Doesn't go."

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote "...I remember the story of Chevrolet's Nova car not selling in Mexico. No one could figure out why...until they realized that in Spanish it means, "Doesn't go."..."

Sadly this is an urban myth since the "nov" begining of words is not uncommon in Spanish and has the same mean (newness) as it does in English.

Snopes, as usual, has the whole story. http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the misinformation. Thanks for the correction, Richard. See...I told you that I usually make more than my share of the mistakes here!

In fact, yesterday wasn't a good day here for me at all! Roll Eyes

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I had this awful feeling that I had already posted that misinformation at some point. I just found it. Geez!