Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Most sounds are in what language?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most sounds are in what language? Login/Join

posted
What language requires its speakers to make the greatest number of sounds?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Whale songs?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can use the World Atlas of Language Structures to see the languages with the largest consonant and vowel inventories. Assuming that the analyses of these languages are correct.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Those links were interesting, goofy, but were there any languages listed? I saw the maps, but not the languages.

It's a great question, Geoff.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
No idea, but I'll guess Chinese anyway.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
No idea, but I'll guess Chinese anyway.

Not likely. Mandarin Chinese does not even have as many sounds as English.

From memory, some of the Native American (and/or First Nations) languages of the Pacific Northwest have rather large phonemic inventories. (Hawai`ian has a rather small one (12 phonemes IIRC.) Some of the Kartvelian languages (like Abkhaz) have rather large inventories, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
arhggh

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

posted Hide Post
quote:
) Some of the Kartvelian languages (like Abkhaz) have rather large inventories, too.

Naturally when you mentioned Kartvelian I thought of this Georgian: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Kartveli

Y'see, Wordmatic, it's not JUST model airplanes! Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah...thanks, goofy. I was focusing on the maps!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
when you mentioned Kartvelian I thought of this Georgian

That is because kartveli means Georgian in Georgian.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:
Second largest is Apibón in Argentina, and third largest is Abkhaz.

Wait a minute... these lists are arranged alphabetically, not by size of inventory. !Xóõ, Abipón and Abkhaz are just 3 of the 54 languages with the largest consonant inventories.

To answer your question, Geoff: !Xóõ might have the most consonants (over 100), and English is one of the languages with the most vowels. My dialect of English has between 13 and 15 vowels, depending on how you count. Not many languages have more vowels than this. Some analyses say Alsatian German has 21 vowels.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
when you mentioned Kartvelian I thought of this Georgian

That is because kartveli means Georgian in Georgian.

That's why I posted it! I thought it was interesting that the man's surname referred to his ethnicity even more clearly that "ian" suggests Armenian. And, of course, I had to toss in the aeronautical connection. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:

To answer your question, Geoff: !Xóõ might have the most consonants (over 100), and English is one of the languages with the most vowels.

OK, thanks! The only "click" consonants I've heard in English are the ones old-time farmers used to command horses. But is that English? I suppose not. Then there are the tongue to the roof of the mouth behind the teeth "tsk-tsk" sounds.

Isn't !Xóõ a very ancient language? I've heard that genetically its speakers are among the most ancient.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:

OK, thanks! The only "click" consonants I've heard in English are the ones old-time farmers used to command horses. But is that English? I suppose not. Then there are the tongue to the roof of the mouth behind the teeth "tsk-tsk" sounds.

I while ago I wrote a post on airstream mechanisms with links to audio examples of languages that have click consonants.

quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Isn't !Xóõ a very ancient language? I've heard that genetically its speakers are among the most ancient.

All non-creole languages are equally old. They all consist of a continuity of speakers stretching back past recorded history. To put it another way, if !Xóõ is older than English, does that mean English just popped into existence in 960 out of thin air?