Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Animal words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Animal words Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I just came across a word that I had not heard before, passerine. It means birds with feet adapted to perching.
So---what other out-of-the-ordinary animal words to you know?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
leporine - hare-like

Habent Abdenda Omnes Praeter Me ac Simiam Meam

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Sciurine: Politician-like, Oops - that's squirrel-like.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sciurine: Politician-like, Oops - that's squirrel-like.

I thought politician-like was anguine! big grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
"This could be fun," he croaked, in a ranine (froglike) gargle.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
from The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann.

the girl that the protagonist fell in love with in the sanitarium on the magic mountain was from the Russian Steppes. i look like that too, that kind of Polish, Czech, or Russian face.

tapir: a piglike mammal of the genus Tapirus of tropical America and Malaya, with a short flexible snout.

i have a snout. ha!

btw, bellsouth hasn't cut me off yet. ????what gives????ˇ

Posts: 166 | Location: pointssouth, u.s.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
btw, bellsouth hasn't cut me off yet. ????what gives?

Because you've got a tapir face, they've threatened to cut you off? Hey, it's BELLsouth, not BELLEsouth! razz

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
anthropoglot
An animal, such as a parrot, capable of copying human speech

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
"That's squirrel-like", says Asa.

I wonder: Do you pronounce squirrel with one syllable, or with two? Is there any systematic Brit-vs-US distinction in this?
quote:
A squirrel to some is a squirrel,
To others, a squirrel's a squirl.
Since freedom of speech is the birthright of each,
I can only this fable unfurl:
A virile young squirrel named Cyril,
In an argument over a girl,
Was lambasted from here to the Tyrol
By a churl of a squirl named Earl.
-- Ogden Nash

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I pronounce squirrel as one syllable: rat.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Arnie, you crack me up!!! big grin
Don't you think squirrels are a little cuter than rats????

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Nope. Squirrels are rats that happen to live in trees. That is the Grey Squirrel, of course. The Red Squirrel, being totally inoffensive, has been almost wiped out by its cousin. mad

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
There's asinine, derived from "ass".

Serpentine is another such word that has made it into non-literal speech where it doesn't call the animal to mind.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now, arnie, what about the black squirrel? I still think the gray ones are cute, however! mad
I did find that the squirrel, while being able to eat acorns with its paws, does not have opposable thumbs. However, the web asserts that the opossum has "opposable thumbs" on its hind foot where it would be useful only for climbing.
However, if you look at the picture, you will see that while it is called opposable, it does not meet primate definition of being able to touch pad of each of the digits.

However, that is probably much more than anyone ever wanted to know about the opposum!

anguine snakelike

posted Hide Post
now you're talking to me. possums, squirrels....i'm rubbing my paws together in delight! arnie, i have a cartoon for you that i made up. if i can remember how to do it, i will publish it here. actually, i have a whole series about the lives of our garden variety, pedestrian rats, mice, possums, squirrels and other varmints.

the mayor of rat town stares out his window, observing how the humans graciously feed begging squirrels in the park. he remarks to his assistant that it isn't fair that the humble rat, who is only a bushy tail away from being a squirrel, should go without. "Henderson, by God, i'll see that there's a prosthetic bushy tail available to every rat in our fair city, or my name isn't Mayor Ratt".

posted Hide Post
you guys? it worked. i took the bait. seriously, does anyone want me to publish the cartoons here? i don't want to showboat.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
wfc,

Go ahead, please post it; I, for one, would love to see your cartoon. wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, WFC, I too would love to see it. And, for you, the opposable thumbs' site:

posted Hide Post

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
anserine - of or resembling a goose; gooselike

A word useful in certain contexts. wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I pronounce squirrel as one syllable: rat.

Arnie, I just heard a description of a squirrel that you would love:
"A squirrel is only a rat dressed in a better outfit."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
blattoid - Resembling a cockroach

posted Hide Post
I used gallinaceous in a post earlier today. I found it in The Grandiloquent Dictionary with a definition of resembling or pertaining to domestic fowls. However, I was told by another authority (aahmmm) that it specifically means rooster like. Can someone help me win this battle?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Morgan:
...gallinaceous... Can someone help me win this battle?

My, you really are competitive, aren't you!
==============================================

1. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of the order Galliformes, which includes the common domestic fowl as well as the pheasants, turkeys, and grouse.
2. Relating to or resembling the domestic fowl.

[From Latin gallinaceus, of poultry, from gallina, hen, feminine of gallus, cock. See gal- in Indo-European Roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary (www.dictionary.com)
\Gal`li*na"ceous\, a.[L. gallinaceus, fr. gallina hen, fr. gallus cock.] (Zo["o]l.) Resembling the domestic fowls and pheasants; of or pertaining to the Gallinae.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (www.dictionary.com)
relating to or resembling a fowl
WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University (www.dictionary.com)

Etymology: Latin gallinaceus of domestic fowl, from gallina hen, from gallus cock
Date: 1783
: of or relating to an order (Galliformes) of heavy-bodied largely terrestrial birds including the pheasants, turkeys, grouse, and the common domestic fowl

Merriam-Webster Dictionary (www.m-w.com)
===============================================
1. a. The male of the common domestic fowl, Gallus domesticus, the female being the HEN. (Often called in U.S., as in Kent, rooster.)

OED Online (dictionary.oed.com)

Is that enough?

The OED has a second definition, which your friend may be thinking of:

2. humorously. a. Resembling that of a cock; ‘cocky’. b. Consisting of fowls.

There are many, many definitions of cock and words containing cock.

Hugh Rawson devotes four and a half pages to cock in Wicked Words: A Treasury of Curses, Insults, Put-Downs and Other Formerly Unprintable Term From Anglo-Saxon Times to the Present, 1989, a delightful resource. No family should be without one. Let me quote his first paragraph.

"Whether referring to the whole man (a hearty cock, say, or a cocky individual) or to his instrument of procreation, the bird is one of the principal symbols of masculinity, along with BULL. The sexual overtones are so strong, in fact, that the name of the barnyard foul has almost been lost in the United States, with the blander rooster (one who roosts) being the preferred term in polite society for most of the past two hundred years. The reluctance to say cock for fear of what other people will think one is thinking extends to additional words that incorporate the same nasty sound. Thus, no one today has any hesitancy about mentioning apricots, haystacks, and weather vanes, which have replaced words that our nice-nelly ancestors felt nervous about, i.e., apricox, haycocks, and weathercocks. These are typical of the changes that took place in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries as proto-Victorians on both sides of the Atlantic began sanitizing the English language. Not even personal names were exempt. For instance, Amos Bronson Alcott, father to the famous Louisa May, changed the family name from Alcox (itself something of a comedown from the probably original, Allcock). As the magisterial editor of the OED, Sir James Murray, said in 1893 when he came to his entry on cock: 'The current name amoung the people, but, pudoris causa, not permissible in polite society or literature; in scientific language the Latin is used.' And the Latin, of course, is penis, which was incorporated into English in the late seventeenth century, and which originally (to the Romans) meant tail - a slight displacement anatomically, but a large one psychologically."

(I have no idea what pudoris causa means. Can anybody help me?)

Cock, referring to a certain male appendage, is well-known. It wasn't until I went to Missouri (way back in 1963) that I found out that cock could also refer to the female genitalia. (See the connection between cock, penis, and tail? Rawson also has a juicy one-page entry under tail.) Indeed, Rawson defined cock alley (or lane) by quoting Captain Francis Grose (author of A Classical Dictionary of the English Tongue, 1796, edited and annotated by Eric Partridge, Barnes and Noble, 1963): "The private parts of a woman". He says synonyms include cock-ball, cock-inn, cockpit, and cockshire. Grose also defined flat-cock as, "a female". Rawson says, "In the southern part of the United States, where many early English expressions survive, cock is still used informally to refer to female as well as male genitalia."

Other definitions include,

cockalorum - "a small man with a big opinion of himself" (we don't know anybody like that, do we?);

cockquean (sound familiar?) - "a low variant of cotquean, meaning an effiminate man, especially one who does woman's work, or, alternatively, a woman who is coarse, vulgar, or masculine."

Tinman

I must be getting better. I had to edit this only four times!

[This message was edited by tinman on Mon Dec 16th, 2002 at 23:05.]

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tinman, you are absolutely amazing. I just wanted you to know that your research is always appreciated, though often there isn't much more to say! It looks like you won, Morgan! big grin Now, what can I do to beat Morgan's over 100 replies in the wives' thread????
I am looking for pudoris causa, Tinman.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So far, Tinman, here is what I have found: It possibly comes from "pudenda", which means things to be ashamed of, or at least to be kept covered. So the phrase could mean "For the sake of modesty, or because of modesty."

Also,"-cock" at the end of a name is a
diminutive. So, "Hancock" meant little John. Remember the nursery rhyme:

"Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross,
To see a fine Lady upon a fine horse,
Rings on her fingers and bell on her toes,
She shall have music wherever she goes."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

Also,"-cock" at the end of a name is a
diminutive.

Interesting that cock can mean "little" or "penis" or perhaps both at the same time!

Tinman

posted Hide Post
Note that phallus and fool come from the same indo-european root.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Or, as Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't phallus all of the time!"

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Morgan:
..._gallinaceous_... Can someone help me win this battle?

My, you really are competitive, aren't you!

1. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of the order Galliformes, which includes the common domestic fowl as well as the pheasants, turkeys, and grouse.
2. Relating to or resembling the domestic fowl.

[From Latin gallinaceus, of _poultry_, from gallina, _hen_, feminine of gallus, _cock_. See gal- in Indo-European Roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary (http://www.dictionary.com)
\Gal`li*na"ceous\, a.[L. gallinaceus, fr. gallina hen, fr. gallus cock.] (Zo["o]l.) Resembling the domestic fowls and pheasants; of or pertaining to the Gallinae.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (http://www.dictionary.com)
relating to or resembling a fowl
WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University (http://www.dictionary.com)

Etymology: Latin gallinaceus of domestic fowl, from gallina hen, from gallus cock
Date: 1783
: of or relating to an order (Galliformes) of heavy-bodied largely terrestrial birds including the pheasants, turkeys, grouse, and the common domestic fowl

Merriam-Webster Dictionary (http://www.m-w.com)
1. a. The male of the common domestic fowl, _Gallus domesticus_, the female being the HEN. (Often called in U.S., as in Kent, _rooster_.)

OED Online (dictionary.oed.com)

Is that enough?

The OED has a second definition, which your friend may be thinking of:

2. _humorously_. a. Resembling that of a cock; ‘cocky’. b. Consisting of fowls.

There are many, many definitions of _cock_ and words containing _cock_.

Hugh Rawson devotes four and a half pages to _cock_ in _Wicked Words: A Treasury of Curses, Insults, Put-Downs and Other Formerly Unprintable Term From Anglo-Saxon Times to the Present_, 1989, a delightful resource. No family should be without one. Let me quote his first paragraph.

"Whether referring to the whole man (a hearty _cock_, say, or a _cocky_ individual) or to his instrument of procreation, the bird is one of the principal symbols of masculinity, along with BULL. The sexual overtones are so strong, in fact, that the name of the barnyard foul has almost been lost in the United States, with the blander _rooster_ (one who roosts) being the preferred term in polite society for most of the past two hundred years. The reluctance to say _cock_ for fear of what other people will think one is thinking extends to additional words that incorporate the same nasty sound. Thus, no one today has any hesitancy about mentioning _apricots_, _haystacks_, and _weather vanes_, which have replaced words that our nice-nelly ancestors felt nervous about, i.e., _apricox_, _haycocks_, and _weathercocks_. These are typical of the changes that took place in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries as proto-Victorians on both sides of the Atlantic began sanitizing the English language. Not even personal names were exempt. For instance, Amos Bronson Alcott, father to the famous Louisa May, changed the family name from _Alcox_ (itself something of a comedown from the probable original, _Allcock_). As the magisterial editor of the OED, Sir James Murray, said in 1893 when he came to his entry on _cock_: 'The current name amoung the people, but, _pudoris causa_, not permissible in polite society or literature; in scientific language the Latin is used.' And the Latin, of course, is _penis_, which was incorporated into English in the late seventeenth century, and which originally (to the Romans) meant _tail_ - a slight displacement anatomically, but a large one psychologically."

(I have no idea what _pudoris causa_ means. Can anybody help me?)

_Cock_, referring to a certain male appendage, is well-known. It wasn't until I went to Missouri (way back in 1963) that I found out that _cock_ could also refer to the female genitalia. (See the connection between _cock_, _penis_, and _tail_? Rawson also has a juicy one-page entry under _tail_.) Indeed, Rawson defined _cock alley_ (or _lane_) by quoting Captain Francis Grose (author of _A Classical Dictionary of the English Tongue_, 1796, edited and annotated by Eric Partridge, Barnes and Noble, 1963): "The private parts of a woman". He says synonyms include _cock-ball, cock-inn, cockpit_, and _cockshire_. Grose also defined _flat-cock_ as, "a female". Rawson says, "In the southern part of the United States, where many early English expressions survive, _cock_ is still used informally to refer to female as well as male genitalia."

Other definitions include,

_cockalorum_ - "a small man with a big opinion of himself" (we don't know anybody like that, do we?);

_cockquean_ (sound familiar?) - "a low variant of _cotquean_, meaning an effiminate man, especially one who does woman's work, or, alternatively, a woman who is coarse, vulgar, or masculine."

Tinman

I must be getting better. I had to edit this only five times!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Tinman

I must be getting better. I had to edit this only five times!

red face Thank you Tinman!

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
Rawson says, "In the southern part of the United States, where many early English expressions survive, _cock_ is still used informally to refer to female as well as male genitalia."

I can attest to this. Some 30 years ago when I first entered the Air Force I was stationed in Mississippi. I was once invited to "go out and chase some cock," a prospect which didn't strike me as overly appealing, so I stayed behind in the barracks with a good book. Imagine my confusion when I later discovered that they had "gotton lucky" that night with some local southern belles of a decidedly heterosexual nature!

At that young (and, admittedly, ignorant) age, I merely chalked it up to the power of a good woman (note the avoidance of vulgarity there) to turn a guy around

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
Note that phallus and fool come from the same indo-european http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE51.html.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kind of like the Yiddish shmuck (or schmuck).
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=shmuck

Phallus is a genus of fungi, collectively known as "stinkhorns". Below are links to two pictures of Phallus impudicus (literally, the "impudent penis"). I call them before and after.

http://members.bianca.com/shacklet/Phallus_Impudicus/shrooms.html

http://www.wildrockies.org/Fungal-Jungal/phalimpu.htm

Tinman

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I bought a card the other day with lots of animals on the front; one was a "long-eared Jerboa", which I had never heard of.

I did find this discussion online.

Have you heard of it? I thought it was strange to be mixed in with lions and tigers and bears...oh my! Oh, also there were some "meercats", which I had not heard of before. These seemed to look like ferrets, and they seem to be common in the U.K.?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Well, I've heard of the long-eared Jerboa, but would never recognise one if I saw it.

Meerkats come from the Kalahari Desert in South Africa. I seem to remember a TV documentary some years back about the Kalahari that showed the meerkats and was responsible for endearing them to the UK viewers. Their way of standing upright on their hind legs while on "sentry duty" can only be described as "cute".

Ferrets are often kept as pets both in the UK and much of the US. While I believe it is illegal in the US, they are sometimes used in the UK to hunt rabbits, although I suspect less nowadays than in the past.

[This message was edited by arnie on Sun Nov 9th, 2003 at 0:26.]

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The documentary that arnie refers to was enormously popular because they are so cute. I think there was a second documentary and certainly some clips from the first were subsequemtly used in various advertising campaigns. Because of this meerkats are well known in the UK but not being indigenous the only ones you might see here would be in zoos.

Glaubt es mir - das Geheimnis, um die größte Fruchtbarkeit und den größten Genuß vom Dasein einzuernten, heisst: gefährlich leben.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Science seems to have proven Arnie right. New discovery of the "rat-squirrel" as reported by the Associated Press:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SPECIES_SURVIVOR...OME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

RJA

Posts: 488 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Science seems to have proven Arnie right.

Science, linguistics, mathematics, astrology, medicine, whatever... Arnie's always right. Roll Eyes

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Squirrel smiley -->

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
quote:
As the magisterial editor of the OED, Sir James Murray, said in 1893 when he came to his entry on cock: 'The current name amoung the people, but, pudoris causa, not permissible in polite society or literature; in scientific language the Latin is used.'...
(I have no idea what pudoris causa means. Can anybody help me?)

The closest I can figure out is that pudoris means "shame" or "modesty," and causa means "cause" or "reason," and that the phrase as used in this sentence means "for reasons of modesty." Am I close? One of you Latin scholars, help me out! Pleeese!

Tinman

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
this sentence means "for reasons of modesty."
Bang on!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.