Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    apostrophes errants
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

apostrophes errants Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
I've noticed that people speak and write of somebody hacing Alzheimers. The good doctors name was Alzheimer and the disease is called Alzheimer's disease. My question, for the puncto-sticklers among us, is whether the apostrophe should be dropped or kept.

1. It's not my fault, you see, I have Alzheimers.

2. It's not my fault, you see, I have Alzheimer's.

3. It's not my fault, you see, I have Alzheimer's disease.

You see somethinglike (1) often enough. But is (2) proper? If so, how many possessives can be used in this way?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Googling alzheimers apostrophe yields over 16,000 hits, the first of which:

Alzheimer's disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaAlzheimer's disease (AD) is a neurodegenerative disease characterized by ... The term Alzheimer disease (without the apostrophe and s) also continues to be ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer's_disease

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think, technically, it should be 2, and not 1...though perhaps that's being too prescriptive. While one might see #1 being used a lot," surely using #2 isn't wrong, is it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
k: No I don't think so, the comma is often used to separate independent clauses

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I think I usually write Alzheimer's without saying disease, and I think that's a case where the "disease" is understood (so it's really there!) Chances are, I've also dropped the apostrophe on occasion.

It's the same with Down's syndrome, which people often use without the "syndrome."

There's actually a disease called Stickler's too...

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stickler's cell anemia