Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    And the moral is...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And the moral is... Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
This week I have been teaching a Christmas lesson. As part of it the classes have all been learning to sing Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

While I was preparing it I mentioned this to my flat mate who took me to task for using something of such dubious moral standing.

He pointed out that the message of the song appears to be that the disabled can be shunned and ostracized until someone finds some societal role for them. Then, and only then, are the considered to have any value.

I hadn't thought of it in those terms but now that I have, I think he's probably right.

Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer

Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer
had a very shiny nose.
And if you ever saw him,
you would even say it glows.

All of the other reindeer
used to laugh and call him names.
They never let poor Rudolph
join in any reindeer games.

Then one foggy Christmas Eve
Santa came to say:
"Rudolph with your nose so bright,
won't you guide my sleigh tonight?"

Then all the reindeer loved him
as they shouted out with glee,
Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer,
you'll go down in history!

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of the old Soviet-era weather man named Rudolph who had predicted rain when the others at the weather bureau had predicted clear skies. He was denounced by his wife for causing dissent in the ranks, but it did rain when he predicted. He was then praised as the greatest Soviet weather man. Rudolph just shrugged and said to his wife, "Rudolph the Red knows rain, Dear."

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
It's more a lesson about alcohol consumption. Apparently Rudo[h got too heavily into the egg nog.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, you need to read your post about political correctness in the other thread. I'll remind you:
quote:
The key is simply to show respect for each others views. It's that simple. And then we can all get on with our lives without constantly walking on eggshells afraid of upsetting people.
Tell your flat mate (roommate here in the states) that's balderdash. Does he worry about all the fairy tales, too, like Hansel and Gretel or Cinderella? I imagine so.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Normally I agree but in this case the words mean what the words mean.

Rudolph who has a physical characteristic that sets him apart from his fellow reindeer is laughed at, called names and shunned.
Then Santa, who hasn't tried to stop this despicable behaviour, suddenly finds a use for him and he is accepted.

Be interesting to know what happened to him next Christmas when it wasn't foggy.

Wink

And the genesis of the song itself is that it was written to be used in colouring books given away as an advertising gimmick by a department store, so not exactly uplifting in real life.

posted Hide Post
I think Bob's reading of the song is way too cynical and literal. I think the point is that minorities have something to contribute.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Wink

<Proofreader>
posted
Here's an alternate Rudolf.link

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sadly Youtube doesn't work in China. Frown

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think Bob's reading of the song is way too cynical and literal. I think the point is that minorities have something to contribute.
That's exactly what Shu said when I told him about this discussion. He said, to him, it shows that everyone, even those who have disabilities or whatever, have some talents to offer. So...I think people just take things like this differently.

posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HGNkq56iU

Hi y'all
Reminds me of my favourite Christmas record.
Wounded John Scott Cree.

Posts: 73 | Location: Morpeth, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My goodness, the ghost of yule past! But the critters in the video looked like what we in the US would call an elk. Confused

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So Funny, FatStan...and where have you been? We've missed you!

posted Hide Post
quote:
the message of the song appears to be that the disabled can be shunned and ostracized until someone finds some societal role for them.

We went to the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus Concert on Christmas Eve, and they had a different take on Rudolf: he was ostracized for being different -- not handicapped -- and the very thing that made him different helped him save the day when it mattered most. His difference wasn't a defect, it was just another trait that made the group stronger.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, that was similar to my husband's view.

BTW, nice to see you again, neveu! We've missed you!

posted Hide Post
Hi Kalleh et al.
I haven't been anywhere exciting, I just stick my nose in now and then to keep an eye on you all!

Posts: 73 | Location: Morpeth, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, we'd like to see both you and neveu here more often!