Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    under over?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

under over? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
US readers may or may not know that this week has been the annual party conference for the Labour Party and so we've had more than the usual amount of political rhetoric floating about the airwaves.
One thing that has caught my ear several times is the frequent use of phrases like

"It's impossible to underestimate John Prescott's importance to the party."

I've caught it several times with both "underestimate" and "undervalue". I suspect that while I agree completely with what it says, I'm agreeing with the exact opposite of what was meant.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob, I think this is an instance of sarcasm, where the expression is used so often that the person no longer realizes they are being sarcastic.

For example, when I say "I could care less", I use it as an idiomatic expression, not as sarcasm, if that distinction makes sense.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sean, have you heard that phrase used in the U.S.? While the "could care less" is used here, I haven't heard "can't underestimate."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I disagree. I think it's a genuine mistake. Because the words underestimate and undervalue are much more common than overestimate and overvalue (in everyday speech) people are failing to realise that "can't underestimate" means the exact opposite of their intention. I don't think it's ever had widespread currency as a sarcastic expression. I really think it's because people (politicians especially) live in such a soundbite culture that they don't ever pause to consider what the soundbites actually mean.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Indeed. The correct phrase is "Never underestimate" or similar.

For example, "Never underestimate the power that promotion has to change consumers' minds".

Or in the instance of Prescott, "Don't underestimate John Prescott's contribution to the happiness of his secretary" *

*US readers who haven't been following UK politics can look at the examples set by, among other Presidents, Kennedy and Clinton, to realise the kind of happiness that is referred to here ;-)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
While the "could care less" is used here, ...

What I find interesting is that "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less" mean exactly the same thing!

Are there any other examples of this? I can't think of any right off the bat.

Phroggye

Posts: 141 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (expat)Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fascinating question, Phroggye.

Off the top of my head, the only ones I can think of are regardless/irregardless and flammable/inflammable. But I'd bet dollars to donuts there are more.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I think we've discussed it in a couple of places before. I'll hunt down the threads later. I usually mention - she has/doesn't have the morals of an alley cat.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it's a genuine mistake.

I think the same about "could care less," though if I recall, my colleagues here disagreed with me.

Welcome back, Froesch! I was just thinking about you the other day. As I've have posted here before, "could care less" and "couldn't care less" are opposite in actual meaning. I just think that people keep carrying on the mistake that first person who used the curious phrase made.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here's one earlier discussion: When do opposites mean the same?.

Another is in British v American English, and another is in the Is it just me or ... thread. There are lots of references just to "could/couldn't care less" throughout the forum; it seems to be a perennial subject.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, arnie, I agree about it being a "perennial subject." That seems to be the case for many discussions of words and phrases on word boards...except of course for our "perennial discussion" of epicaricacy, which I presume doesn't occur on other word boards. Wink

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
our "perennial discussion" of epicaricacy

It's more discussed than used, I dare say.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's more discussed than used, I dare say.

I dare say you're right...and I dare say I'm the culprit. I promise not to mention the word when we meet John Simpson in a week. Wink

posted Hide Post
My problem with the word "epicaricacy" is its pronounciation. It seems a real toungue-twister to me. Schadenfreude is much easier (and it's saying something to suggest that any German word could be simpler than an English one!)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once you get the hang of it, epicaricacy is not that difficult a word to pronounce. I've never been able to figure out how to pronounce schadenfreude to my satisfaction.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Once you get the hang of it, epicaricacy is not that difficult a word to pronounce. I've never been able to figure out how to pronounce schadenfreude to my satisfaction.

Satisfatcory or no, schadenfreude is pronounced SHAHdenFROYder.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
That is different than any of the ones I attempted. That 'r' at the end, that's not really pronounced, right?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The final e in schadenfreude is a schwa. The British seem to pronounce a word-final -er as a schwa, at least in prestige dialects. I've always wanted people to post pronunciations in IPA or SAMPA or something less ad hoc, but it seems too difficult to too many of the members, and I've given up trying to noodge people about it. The nice thing is that the forum software used for this board seems to be able to handle most Unicode symbols. I'd transcribe my West-Coast American pronunciation as /'ʃadən,frɔjdə/ in broad IPA transcription.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The final e in schadenfreude is a schwa. The British seem to pronounce a word-final -er as a schwa, at least in prestige dialects.

That's what I meant to imply. As ZM suggests, we don't usually pronounce the "r" in an "er" ending, but it's needed to show that the "e" is sounded (which it usually isn't when it ends a word)

Richard English

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
I disagree. I think it's a genuine mistake.

Yes. Impossible and underestimate.
Isn't the error simply the use of near double negative, which can be a useful device when people think about what they are saying.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
Off the top of my head, the only ones I can think of are regardless/irregardless and flammable/inflammable. But I'd bet dollars to donuts there are more.

I'd say it's impossible to underestimate the size of the dollars-to-donuts ratio!

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post