Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    "If you will..."
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"If you will..." Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Julia Keller, the Cultural Critic in the Chicago Tribune, discussed Vice President Cheney's use of "if you will" today. She calls it a "verbal nicety...a quaint, effete, fuddy-duddy of a phrase." Further, she says, it "sounds excessively refined and a trifle sissified. 'If you will' sounds as if it ought to be uttered with a French accent."

Geoffrey Pullum, one of my favorite linguists, has weighed in on the phrase, too. Pullum says that the phrase is a way of "hedging," (though is Cheney a hedger?). However, it may then be Cheney's antiquated way of hedging, as Cheney is 65 and a bit antiquated himself. Roll Eyes Pullum says, indeed, "if you will" may be an antiquated variation of "like," as in "I drank so much last night that I was, like, puking my guts out." (Can you imagine "if you will" there? Wink)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Verily, on yestereve, I had imbibed such quantity that I was, if you will, somewhat discommoded.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pullum says that the phrase is a way of "hedging,"

I agree. It belongs in the same family as, "you know" and "I mean".

It is, I suggest, somewhat more refined even if old-fashioned.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Julia Keller, the Cultural Critic in the Chicago Tribune, discussed Vice President Cheney's use of "if you will" today. She calls it a "verbal nicety...a quaint, effete, fuddy-duddy of a phrase." Further, she says, it "sounds excessively refined and a trifle sissified. 'If you will' sounds as if it ought to be uttered with a French accent."

Geoffrey Pullum, one of my favorite linguists, has weighed in on the phrase, too. Pullum says that the phrase is a way of "hedging," (though is Cheney a hedger?). However, it may then be Cheney's antiquated way of hedging, as Cheney is 65 and a bit antiquated himself. Roll Eyes Pullum says, indeed, "if you will" may be an antiquated variation of "like," as in "I drank so much last night that I was, like, puking my guts out." (Can you imagine "if you will" there? Wink)

and this girl was, if you will, [extravagant figure-of-eight hand gesture], and I was, if you will, I'm 'aving some of that, and she was, if you will, gagging for it

That kind of thing?

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post