Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Oh, that's not what you meant...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh, that's not what you meant... Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Languagehat has a post titled "A Year in Reading, 2012".
My first thought was, "Oh you poor thing, the year I lived in Reading was one of the most boring of my life."

Then I realised that he probably wasn't talking about the town in Berkshire.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I actually worked in Wokingham and lived in Reading and if there is a more boring place on Earth than Wokingham I have yet to visit it (and believe me I've visited a lot of places.)
That makes it all the more surprising that there is such a gushing and ebullient Wikipedia entry for it. I can only assume it was written in the spirit of Ford Prefect's original guide to Earth which was edited by the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy down to "mostly harmless".
A description that applies equally well to Wokingham.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Reading PA ain't too hot neither.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I understand that many manufacturers test-market their products in Reading as its customer mix is the same as the customer mix for the UK as a whole. There are pockets of great wealth and pockets of great poverty - and everthing between - in one small area.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
There are pockets of great wealth and pockets of great poverty - and everthing between - in one small area.

That's either Las Vegas or Atlantic City.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there must be other places of that ilk. It's just that Reading seems to fit the bill here.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's interesting, the English Reading is in Berkshire and the Pennsylvania Reading is in Berks County.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Referring to areas of a city in the novel, "Waterside is where people are poor. That makes them beggars, thieves, and whores. Hillside is where people are rich. That makes them solicitors, politicians, and courtesans."
The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post