Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Tap dancing politicians?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tap dancing politicians? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Just heard on a political debate program...

When eighty two year old Walter Wolfgang was ejected from the labour party conference during Jack Straw's carefully choreographed speech...

I know that choreographed is often used figuratively but does this wording sound a little odd to anyone else? It makes me think that Jack Straw was wearing a straw hat and carrying a cane and making his speech while doing a music hall dance routine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would make more sense if the word were "telegraphed". Look at definition 3b of telegraphed. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=telegraph

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I would have thought the same, Bob, but when I looked it up, it does seem to have a political meaning. Here is one example: "plan and oversee the development and details of; 'The meeting between the two Presidents had been carefully choreographed.'" Another is: "orchestrate: aides who choreographed the candidate's tour." However, at least in the latter, there is activity, so it makes more sense.

I think of choreograph as meaning "to plan a dance movement."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post