Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Disingenuous
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disingenuous Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
From today's blog entry

quote:

One problem I've had in China is getting stuff to read.
Books in English are available but, even in large bookshops in large cities, the selection is miniscule. In Xi-An I checked the English section of a book store that covered five floors of a shopping mall. There were less than thirty books in total and all of them were the kind of boring classics that get included in school curriculums.* If I wanted to read Oliver Twist or Pride and Prejudice or The Importance of Being Earnest again, I'd have brought them with me. In desperation for something to pass the time on a forthcoming twenty hour train ride I ended up buying The Complete Father Brown stories.**

I can of course get downloads of just about anything.
So, I've decided to go against my principles and give in and buy an e-reader. I have a lot of downloaded books on my computer but it's just too damned inconvenient to sit at my desk to read them. I know this is against everything I've ever said but I've just committed to another year in China and, if I can't get real books, at least an ereader will let me sit somewhere comfortable to read electronic ones. Not to mention giving me something to pass the time while I am on the toilet.***

So this afternoon a Chinese friend is coming with me to explain my requirements to the store owners and then to bargain the price down to something sensible.****
With this in mind I've been looking at e-readers on the internet to get an idea for just what my requirements are. One thing in particular has struck me about the product descriptions on the official sites for Kindle and Nook and whatever. The quoted battery life always seems very odd.

The first one that showed up on my search was the Kindle. It quoted a battery life of a month. The Nook quoted an even more impressive two months. These seemed unlikely to me. Closer examination reveals that these figures are both based on thirty minutes use a day. Surely this is an absurdly disingenuous way to describe it. Doing that the Kindle could claim two months based on fifteen minutes a day or more than a year based on two minutes a day or an infinite battery life based on never using it at all.
Independent comparison sites all seem to quote the much more sensible "hours of continuous use" figure.

What do I need? Well I don't need to know how long it will last at half an hour a day as I read far, far more than that now, just sitting at my computer screen. All I need is to know that on a full charge it will last for a day. Then I can recharge it while I sleep. That's it. I also don't need it to have bells and whistles and other features. I just want to be able to copy a book from my computer to the e-reader , then go sit in the park or in the bar or on the sofa or on the toilet and read.

(* No, Word's helpful red underlining notwithstanding, I don't think it should be curricula - I speak English, not Latin.
** The Complete Father Brown stories vary from rather dull and predictable***** to "I-want-to-throw-it-in-the-fire" religious preachiness. I don't understand why it has such a good reputation.
*** Unless, of course, it's a Chinese squat toilet where it's all I can do to maintain balance and keep my trousers clean without adding the complication of trying to read.
**** In China, in everywhere except supermarkets, prices always start at more than double the price they will actually take. As an Englishman I am genetically incapable of the bargaining required to get the prices that the Chinese locals pay. A Chinese friend is an essential adjunct to any shopping experience.
*****The atheist did it. You can bet the farm on it.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, Bob, welcome to the e-Book crowd. I didn't want one either, but my work gave it to me. I have an iPad. I have downloaded some books, but so far I can't bear to use it.

I don't know if you were asking for advice or not...but if you were, I'd highly recommend the Kindle Fire. My daughter has one and loves it. It has wireless capacity if you ever have access (though of course you don't need it to read), and that's nice. I know my daughter loves hers.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Kindle is no good to me. It specifically doesn't support epub - the most popular download format. This is a business decision by Amazon to try to make people buy their product.

More than 90% of my downloads are in epub format.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I was, of course, more interested in the way that they quote an essentially meaningless battery life figure but in terms that make it sound impressive.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have a Kindle. I realise that there is more material available in other formats, but there is more than enough for the Kindle. Every day I get an email advising me of the several hundred NEW AND FREE publications available!

Add that figure to the several hundred new chargeable publications released every day and you can understand why I feel satisfied with what's on offer.

My own Kindle - the now obselescent "Kindle Keyboard" has a battery life of many hours of continuous use - I would guess at 24-48 with the wireless turned on and longer with it off; certainly I have never had it run out of battery on me. I only charge it every few days and I read it a lot. But I agree, battery life in hours would be a far more useful figure than a "days" figure based on an arbitrary daily useage.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The problem is that I have a ton of stuff already downloaded - none of it in a format that the Kindle supports.

I'll almost certainly buy the cheapest on the Chinese market.
My needs are very modest.

posted Hide Post
quote:

And carry two fully charged spare batteries?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
The problem is that I have a ton of stuff already downloaded - none of it in a format that the Kindle supports.

I read recently about some software converts other formats into Kindle-readable formats.

Had I been sharp enough I'd have taken a note of it - but a quick search found this site - http://techsupport.foreverwarm...books-on-your-kindle - which seems to offer the software.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I knew you were interested in the battery. I was just putting in a plug for the Fire. I certainly can see the disingenity in the two months versus 30 minutes a day. From my experience with an iPad, the battery lasts quite long with much use. Right now I've been on my iPad for about an hour, and it's 94% charged now. The battery life is rather irrelevant to me, however, and most who use them here in the US because you can just plug them in and they are 100% charged quickly. I gather you can't do that as easily?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Can't always get what you want.

I looked in the department stores here in Baiyin (with the help of a Chinese friend) and discovered that

a) e-readers as such (such as Kindle and Nook) aren't available at all, so scratch that.

b) tablets with e-reader software come in various shapes and sizes, usually as Chinese clones of known brands. The cheapest usable one that I could find was the ACOH C905 coming in at about 30 pounds. It will do for the moment though I will probably investigate readers in the UK.

I bought it as a stop gap and may sell it on if I bring back a reader from the UK. It's problems are that it has battery life of only about 6 hours and, because it's a tablet (android) it has the kind of back lit screen that is impossible to see in bright sunlight where I wanted a liquid paper screen.

Also the manual is in Chinese though I have been able to switch the device itself into English.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how up to date you are with new from home, but Waterstones has started selling the Kindle, (see http://www.wired.co.uk/news/ar...1/waterstones-kindle) so you could get one from them if you can't order one from Amazon.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As I said before the Kindle doesn't support epub files and 90% of my downloads are epubs.Kindle is no use to me. I'll be back in England in two weeks. I can look around then at other devices. For the time being the tablet I bought will do.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I give. What is the advantage of epub? I looked it up online (hadn't heard of it; I hope that doesn't make me look too stupid! Remember, I am not an e-reading fan), but all the books I saw were available in Amazon, too.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The advantages to me are twofold.

1. Most of the free (and not necessarily legal) downloads on the internet are in epub format.

2. I have somewhere between 3000 and 4000 dowloaded books sitting on my hard drive approximately 90% of which are in epub format. It would take me months to source all of those (even if I could) in a Kindle-friendly format and download them all again.

In broader terms than just my own needs epub is an open source format which means that no one can get sole control over it. Amazon can maintain the Kindle's proprietary format and if they do exclusive rights deals with any publisher or any author those books will have to be bought from Amazon and read on a Kindle. So it's a form of protectionism. Buy OUR product or you can't have these books. Epub is also an official standard for the digital publishing industry.

Amazon's refusal to implement it on the Kindle is just an attempt to make everyone buy all their digital books from them and not from elsewhere.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
As I said before the Kindle doesn't support epub files and 90% of my downloads are epubs.Kindle is no use to me. I'll be back in England in two weeks. I can look around then at other devices. For the time being the tablet I bought will do.

Is that converter I gave you the link to, of no use?

Which? recently tested e-readers and found that the Kindle Keyboard was the best overall, despite the fact that it can only read the Amazon format. They accepted that point but added that, because the Amazon range was so large and its prices generally the cheapest, being restricted to that format was no great hardship.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:

Is that converter I gave you the link to, of no use?

Which? recently tested e-readers and found that the Kindle Keyboard was the best overall, despite the fact that it can only read the Amazon format. They accepted that point but added that, because the Amazon range was so large and its prices generally the cheapest, being restricted to that format was no great hardship.

At the moment I have bought what I can get -i.e. a tablet. I will look at the converter should I need it. As for the Kindle prices, they can't be cheaper than those (not necessarily legal) dowloads that I mentioned, because they're free.

Remember this is China. There is almost nothing to be had here in the way of properly licensed product. The options are to buy pirates or go without and its similar with buying on the internet. Sites for legal purchases are usually blocked but sites with free and unlicensed downloads are freely available.

As for the converter, it might or might not be useful but to know I'd first have to buy a Kindle so that I'd have a way to test it. Something of a catch-22.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shu and I don't own a Kindle; we own iPads, and we download a lot of our books (often very cheap or free, but sometimes not) from Amazon so I don't get your whole agrument that Amazon only sells to Kindles.

posted Hide Post
quote:
At the moment I have bought what I can get -i.e. a tablet. I will look at the converter should I need it. As for the Kindle prices, they can't be cheaper than those (not necessarily legal) dowloads that I mentioned, because they're free.

Yesterday I received a notification that 352 free books had been added to the Kindle list in the previous 24 hours, 1332 in the past week. And they are all legal.

You do have to pay for many of the books - usually the ones from more famous authors - but they are much cheaper than their paperback equivalents - often less than a pound.

Richard English